Good Books for Read Aloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Books for Read Aloud

My Ker loves novels. At least she loves listening to them. So, to force myself to make time for that, I am making a list of good read alouds for next year, much like the MP lists for older children.

Little Princess (my favorite childhood book)
    King of the Wind
    The Wizard of Oz
    Pollyanna
    Trumpet of the Swan
    Lad: a Dog
    Tale of Despereax
    Blue Fairy Book
    Railway Children

So, what do people think? All good children's lit? Improvements? Deletions? More age appropriate? Missing favorite? I haven't read every one of these, so I am not 100% sure about the listening difficulty etc. for all the selections.

See the bump

I bumped an old thread called "Desert Island Literature" so you could see some suggestions by forum members .
    Blessings,
    Jude

Dd 16, Ds 13, Ds 10, Ds 8, Dd 6, Ds 4, Dd 14 mos.
    DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
    DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
    DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
    DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
    DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
    DS 10 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
    DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

Two of my kids' favorites are Dominic by William Steig and The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye. These have become tattered and torn with love.
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16

Comment

The Children of the New Forest is a children's novel published in 1847 by Frederick Marryat.

My kids really enjoyed listening to this one. They were about 8 and 9 at the time.
        Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
        Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
        Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Working...
        X