Famous Men of Modern Times question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Men of Modern Times question

What age/grade for Famous Men of Modern Times have or would you use?

We went through Famous Men of the Middle Ages for 5th and was going to use Famous Men of Modern Times for 6th. However, looking at the MP Core for 6th it looks like Famous Men of Greece is used. We loosely follow LCC2.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Hi, Kelly.

You can use Famous Men of Modern Times for 6th grade. We do Greece because we are preparing our students to read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey in the 7th grade. I don't think there's a large difference in the difficulty between these two books.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya. So when do you use the Dorothy Mills books? I am trying to plan ahead a bit because we have an overseas move coming up the end of this year/first part of next.

Kelly

Comment

Kelly,

We read Mills' Ancient World as our Christian Studies in 7th grade. And we read Mills' Greece book the first semester of 7th before reading Homer the second semester. In 8th grade, we read Mills' Rome before reading Virgil's Aeneid in the second semester. We read Mills' Middle Ages in 8th grade literature as review for students as they study medieval literature.

It's a lot to work in, and sometimes it's a quick read.

Tanya

Comment

Could one do both FM Greece and FM Modern Times in one year by doing 2 lessons a week in each book? Or would that be too much?
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

You could do 2 lessons a week and get through both books. Each lesson should take about 1 1/2 hrs. to complete. We actually teach these courses as semester courses in our online academy, so people are doing it all the time!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X