Please critique my plan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please critique my plan!

So to give more background (I've already posted once). The two girls I'm trying to figure out where to start are 4th and 8th incoming. Neither have had any Latin or very much classical studies. They are both on pace in math and read well. Both need a lot of work in writing and grammar. My 8th grader is sensitive about being lumped into many of the same subjects with my 4th because she is kind of fast and can be a little know it all ;-). My 8th dd is bright but more laid back and thinks everything through BEFORE she speaks. So below is a plan idea, keeping in mind I will have a junior doing Classical Conversations and Latin for the first time, a 4 yo dd doing jr K and a toddler going on 2 . Also older marrieds and second grand baby on the way! Life is full and good but wanted help again sorting out all of the possibilities as we get on the track of this classical way of teaching.

My plan:

Buy the 3rd grade core, substituting math and spelling for the 4th grade arithmetic and 5th grade spelling for my 9yo daughter. I loved the literature for that age and wanted to be able to focus on Latin without English grammar and writing being too much.

This would allow me to use the 2nd English grammar book and do the sped up Fable/Narrative with my older and it not be obvious that its a "lower" grade. I was thinking I would start her in the First Form Latin and 6th literature. They could do Greek mythology and states and capitals together.

Is this challenging enough for my almost 13yo? I see there is poetry for the third core, which would I do with the older? The other option was to get Rod and Staff 8th for grammar. Too bad you all can't be in my head and know my girls!

So to sum it up, I'm really wanting to tighten and have the basics down solid, get a good start on Latin and also keep my older daughter feeling a little ahead of younger sis.

Good luck with that, whoever made it to the bottom deserves a prize!

Blessings, Maggie
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 16 grand babies 6 and under!
    2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Also..

As I read through these strings it looks like Rod and Staff English might be part of the third and fourth core? A little confused about that.
    -Amy

2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Hope to Help

Hi Maggie!

I did make it through your post, so I hope that I can offer some help!

Your idea of starting with Third grade core seems good, especially for your younger daughter. Bumping up her math and spelling is also a good idea. So you look pretty set for her.

Your questions about your older daughter are good as well, as she may be able to handle a bit more than your third grader, and she is needing to be ready for high school subjects. I am confident that Tanya or Paul from MP will chime in tomorrow when they get to work to make sure that those concerns are met with your plan.

So to start with, maybe I can clarify the grammar part. The Grammar Recitation program MP has written is geared to be started early, (3rd grade), supplement Latin studies, and build from one book to the next. Therefore, if you choose to do that program, you should really begin at Book I and go all the way through. In your elder daughter's situation, she could do two things. She could start with GR I, and go through it at a faster pace than her sister, and probably get Book II done within the year as well. However, there are at least 5 books in the series, and your daughter may not have as much time to get through them all to get a firm foundation of English Grammar, unless you continued into High School. She also has not had any Latin yet, so the GR program would not be as complete for her. Therefore, it may help her more to do the Rod and Staff 8th grade English program to give her a more thorough grammar course in just one year.

Your plans to do CC Fable/Narrative sound good, especially if you have an older child in them...you can kind of see the progression she will do. First Form would be a good place to start for Latin, and you be able to proceed at a faster clip than if she were a fourth grader starting. As for poetry, there is a beautiful Poetry Anthology for Seventh grade, that you could add in with the Sixth grade lit program.

The Classical program is where MP can really jump in here and help you...My guess would be that yes, Greek Myths would be a good one for her to get through, but she probably does not need to spend an entire year on it. She may want to spend the first half on it, and shoot for getting through the Iliad and Odyssey books (from the seventh grade level) in the second half. But again, MP will be a great help there!

I hope that gives you a bit more to think about!
      AMDG<
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Thank you Sarah, I really appreciate the input. For me the teacher, do you think it is doable for me to do two levels of Latin to start? That is what I want to do but not sure what the learning curve for me will be. I think the Rod and Staff 8th sounds like a good idea. For my 4th grader is Rod and Staff necessary to add on? I will wait and hopefully get more feedback .

I do want to say I am so impressed by this forum and company thus far, the genuine help and flexibility is amazing. Thank you ahead of time!
        -Amy

Comment

Maggie,

You shouldn't need to add RS English to the 4th grader since she will be doing the English grammar program alongside Latin. Just keep her doing one book a year from now on (in English) and she will be done by 8th grade.

As for teaching two levels of Latin, since you will be doing Latina Christiana and First Form, you won't be learning two completely different levels. Rather, First Form teaches what LC teaches, just at a faster pace to be able to cover more. The material is presented in a different order, however, so your 7th grader will start with the material the 4th grader will finish with. Obviously it would be better to have only one level of Latin in the house, but I think your current plan is the best one.

For classical studies, I would suggest your 7th grader spend the first semester reading Dorothy Mills' Book of the Ancient Greeks. It covers the basics of Greek mythology at the beginning, and while it would split your one classical studies course into two, it would give her both the Greek myths and Greek history in one course. Then in the spring she could do the Iliad and the Odyssey. In 8th grade she could do the Book of the Ancient Romans in the first semester and the Aeneid in the second.

Paul
          Paul Schaeffer
          --
          Academy Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
            As I read through these strings it looks like Rod and Staff English might be part of the third and fourth core? A little confused about that.
            Maggie,
            We used to have RS English in the 3rd and 4th grades, but we replaced it with our English Grammar for the Grammar Stage program.

Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

Thank you so much Paul, that sounds good, and I like that it is the same subject but a higher level. She is actually going into 8th, does that change anything? What do you recommend for modern studies for her?
              -Amy

Comment

No, she can just do what I suggested for 7th this year, and what I suggested for 8th next year. Most students don't get to the Iliad and the Odyssey until college anyway, so she will be way ahead of the ball game!

For modern studies, in high school we generally do a year of intense American history and two years of modern history using Palmer & Colton's book. I wouldn't worry about it for another year or so.

Paul
                Paul Schaeffer
                --
                Academy Director

Comment

Wonderful! I am feeling "cleaned up" with goals and purposes for this year. Having tried and failed too often with unit studies for the family, I'm excited to be more focused on individual needs and skills.

Again, blessings MP!
                  -Amy

Comment

Working...
                  X