Pencil Grip - How Picky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil Grip - How Picky?

I know that pencil grip is important, but I am wondering how finicky to be about it. My dd would like to hold her pencil between her thumb and first two fingers resting the pencil on her fourth. I have been trying to get the middle finger tucked for a tripod grip, but twelve weeks into the campaign the new habit isn't there. She has been fighting me more about it and her little brother has just taken up the same for finger grip. Is this an issue that I should go to the mat over, or is close enough, well, close enough?

Lena

Nip it in the bud

I am hoping that someone else with official credentials will chime in here. But from experiences with a couple of my children, I can tell you that establishing proper grip early on is considered VERY important. Check out OT-Mom's website for a list of reasons and pictures of what are considered mature pencil grips. She needs a grip that is going to give her a full range of flexibility and not cause her hand to tire easily. Those little pencil grips that OTs recommend are very cheap and really do help. They are called "The Pencil Grip - Original." You can get them at Amazon, and I think I may have found them at Target by the pencils as well.
    Blessings,
    Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.
    DD23
    DS20
    DS18
    DS15
    DD13
    DS11
    DD8

Comment

Hmmm. I looked at that website you recommended and my kids' grasps looked sort of like the immature five finger grips she shows in her normal progression. (I think it looks like four fingers to me just because the pencil isn't that chunky.) My kids are on the young side (just three and barely five) so maybe their grips are normal, just not completely developed. Thanks for the website.

Comment

Oops.

Sorry. I didn't realize that your children were so young. I thought you were talking about a child well into writing (kindergarten or above).
        Blessings,
        Jude
        DD23
        DS20
        DS18
        DS15
        DD13
        DS11
        DD8

Comment

You wouldn't have known. We started dd ridiculously early this year because I expect to lose at least three months of our school year this year while moving to Germany. I really did appreciate that website, though. After poking around more thoroughly I have decided that the preschooler is developing well and I won't mess with him (probably saved me some troubles there) and I will work with dd. Her grip just looks awkward, so I will work more with her on the tripod.

Comment

You are right, pencil grip is very important. It is worth being “picky” about so they can develop good habits early. We have a YouTube on paper and pencil position for both right and left-handers. It shows how to pick up the pencil for the right grip. YouTubeNewAmericanCursive
            Iris

Comment

Working...
            X