Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to buy the read-outloud program and the core curriculum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to buy the read-outloud program and the core curriculum?

This will be my first year using Memoria. I am not sure if I am supposed to be purchasing the read-outloud program as well as the core curriculum. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten.
    Is it necessary or just extra? Will the curriculum reference these at all and expect me to have it? Hopefully that makes sense...

Hi! The read-aloud program is scheduled into the lesson plans. Children read and explore one picture book per week and some of the activities are connected to that book. Some choose to purchase the package to have the books as a collection, and others are checking the books out of the library each week as needed. They are definitely written into the plans.

Blessings,

Jessica

Comment

We didn't purchase the read aloud books last year. It is part of the Enrichment section of the Curriculum Guides. I did check them out from the library when I had time, but didn't get to most of them. Though they are written into the plans your children will get an excellent education even if you can't get to them.

For me I just wanted to get through the basics last year. Next year I'm hoping to complete more from the read aloud books.

Blessings!
      Kami

Comment

I just used the library for K, 1st and 2nd. I think there were only a few my library did not have. If your system is as good as mine, I would borrow them by putting them on hold a few weeks ahead. If you do not have access to a good library, I would suggest buying the titles. I have ended up doing so for the books my boys especially loved/hid so I could not return them.
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Thank you! I think this year I will be ordering the curriculum enough in advance to buy a few of the first needed books ahead of time and then I will see what I can check out from the library and what I will want to keep for good. Money summer is a little tight due to saving about $6000 to move from Oregon to Texas (and missing a week of work due to a bike crash). So I think I will be okay without ordering the read-outloud program this year and just finding the books separately.

Thanks for the advice!! I can't wait to order the curriculum and get started!

Comment

As has been mentioned, I buy the curriculum but reserve the books from our local library. I use the booklists posted to see what/if any titles our library doesn't have before the year starts. Usually there are only about two-four not available. I either borrow those from friends or we'll skip them. I think they are a great part of the week as well as a good way to include any other children lingering around. My oldest boy usually appears and makes his way to where we are when a read aloud starts, even if I'd consider it much too young for him. I like to think of it as a kid-magnet.
            If you have a great librarian, they might be interested in buying for your library any titles they don't own...? Just a thought.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

We will be using our library or buying from Amazon ahead of time
              Karen
              Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
              3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Comment

The A Word

Originally posted by my3luvbugs990105 View Post
                We will be using our library or buying from Amazon ahead of time
                I think there are several of us that do that. Memoria Press is only able to sell the complete read-aloud program as a package, so if you own some of the books already, you have to go through another seller. At our local library (a state-of-the-art, well-funded library) it is really difficult to find most of the books on the read-aloud lists. This has nothing to do with MP. I like the selections. Our library seems to mainly buy twaddle instead of having more than one copy of the really good books. It is a delicate game, trying to put books on hold at just the right time. So Amazon gets a lot of business from me, because I can have it in two days (prime membership) if the hold doesn't come through in time.
                Blessings,
                Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.
                DD23
                DS20
                DS18
                DS15
                DD13
                DS11
                DD8

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
                  I think there are several of us that do that. Memoria Press is only able to sell the complete read-aloud program as a package, so if you own some of the books already, you have to go through another seller. At our local library (a state-of-the-art, well-funded library) it is really difficult to find most of the books on the read-aloud lists. This has nothing to do with MP. I like the selections. Our library seems to mainly buy twaddle instead of having more than one copy of the really good books. It is a delicate game, trying to put books on hold at just the right time. So Amazon gets a lot of business from me, because I can have it in two days (prime membership) if the hold doesn't come through in time.
                  Blessings,
                  Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.
                  Yes I think there are a total of 4 books that my library does not have and that amazon does not list and would need to go through a 3rd party used.....
                  Karen
                  Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
                  3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Comment

I've actually found that for the most part using Barnes & Noble's Educator's 20% discount has been the best price on most of the read aloud books over Amazon. It was different when Amazon had the 4-for-3 bargains, but I do not see those much any more. As a homeschooling parent you qualify for the BN Educator's card, you just have to apply in store and you get a number to tack on to your account. I order online and as long as you pass $25 you get free shipping. I have a member's account too and you have to choose between the two on orders, but unless I have a coupon I always use the Educator's discount. It's just 2-8 days shipping instead of 1-3 express.
                    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
                    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                    DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
                    DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
                    DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
                    DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
                    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Working...
                    X