Catechism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catechism

For those of you that belong to a church that teaches catechism, how do you include this in your day? Do you do anything during school time? How do you appraoch this? I would like to start doing catechism with my dd, but I am not sure how to fit it into the routine. (We are doing K now.) I would love to hear what others are doing with this to give me some ideas to start.

Lena

Lena,

Are you inquiring about Catholic catechism?
    Blessings,
    Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

We don't always follow the MP plans to a T. Usually for religion class we do catechism twice a week and Christian Studies (grades 3-5) three days a week. For kindergarten, we only loosly do catechism. We are Catholic and use the St Joseph Baltimore Catechism First Communion edition for that age through grade 2. At age 5-6 I simple read from it and have them start to practice answering the basic questions. We also try to read stories of saints and talk about the liturgical year and feasts as they come up during the year. Most of the religious learning they do at this age is by doing- going to your church service, going to special services to special days and discussing why this is different than "normal". We also talk about things like offering up suffering when they are suffering something or praying for others, especially those that hurt us. It is really infused throughout the day. We might actually sit down and "do" catechism once or twice a week and it only takes 15 min or so and we usually do it either as part of recitation or right after before we get into the lesson plans.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I also follow a pattern similar to momgineer and next year (4th) we plan to use Christian Studies two days and St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism the other two days with a day free for saint stories, etc. We also try to attend daily Mass as much as possible.

I agree with momgineer that it really does not take up that much time and the Faith lived is woven throughout the day anyway.
        Blessings,
        Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

Actually, we are not catholic. We are Dutch Calvinist, so I will be teaching the Heidelburg Catechism. Right now we have a fantastic elder that has been teaching all the littles the creed, but when we move...well, so few modern churches take catchizing the children seriously. I want to make sure that we are doing well at home at least. I am glad to know that people only do it a couple of days per week. I can work that in. I also appreciate the ideas about where children find the more caught than taught part of the faith.

Lena

Comment

We are Lutheran. We do a few things. First, just straight memory work from the small catechism. Next, I make a study guide based on Peter Bender's "Congregation at Prayer" which combines catechism, lectionary, hymnody, and studies in the parts of the liturgy, church year, commemorations, etc. We also use Treasury of Daily Prayer which has settings of things like matins, vespers, compline, morning and evening prayer, etc. I vary up when and which ones we use as we go.

Haleigh

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I am noting from all of these that people are doing a lot of integration of faith practices into life. I hadn't really thought carefully about that, but I will have to consider what our church recommends for home extension of the faith. I am presuming with things like church year practice and other daily life things your husbands are involved to some extent. How do you divy up instruction of your children in the faith between you and your spouse?

Lena

Comment

Hi Lena!

We too try to incorporate our faith practices into our daily life, but I will admit the it is a challenge. Even though I was raised Catholic, it was a tough time for the Church. A lot of the beautiful practices of the faith had gone out the window because of a lot of misunderstandings going on in the church. So it was really just a Sunday thing. Add to that that my husband is a convert, who, while devoted to the faith, is in much the same boat as I when it comes to, "what should we be doing as a family on a daily basis?"

It has felt like a really difficult learning curve...but we have just tried to add things in gradually, see how well they work, and then either realize it needs to be more of a priority, or it was simply not the right practice for now. For example, I got started praying the Liturgy of the Hours in college....love it...but every time I try to keep it up myself, or including the kids, it becomes frustrating rather than prayerful. Instead, I have let that one go for now and will return to it later in life.

So I would suggest finding out what your faith practices are, try to add one in and make it a really good habit, and then try for another one. Our main constant is to go to daily Mass. It puts a serious crimp into our morning, as far as school goes, but for me it is a non-negotiable.

But my husband can't join us because of work...so we have been trying to add nightly rosary to have something with him too. That has been tougher, especially when our days run late because of soccer (not in the same category as prayer, but still important to us)

So take it slowly, and try to make changes that will stick, rather than a lot at once.

(if i try to do more than that, i set myself up for lots of guilt and pressure!)

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Because I am home full-time and he has a rather demanding schedule, I usually end up tending to most of the day to day catechesis. When DH is home, he leads it, but most of the time he delegates to me.

Comment

integrating Catechism

This is such an important subject. Living out our faith is actually the main reason that we homeschool. My husband handles this more in the area of coming home with topics that are good for dinnertime conversation. (He usually listens to "Catholic Answers" on the radio on his drive home.) But since he only converted nine years ago and still has a lot to learn, he lets me handle the nuts and bolts.
                    For actual daily instruction, I use the St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism, Leading Little Ones to Our Lady, and stories of the saints. Then we move on to Baltimore Catechism 1, then Baltimore Catechism 2. It takes very little time to add in each day. I do expect my kids to have the answers memorized. During this time my children read the Ignatius Press series of chapter books on saints' lives during their free time. (No television means they will read anything I bring into the house.)
                    In addition to Catechism and saints, I also try to cover apologetics. I love the Friendly Defender flash cards, because you can use them at lunch or wherever to cover a topic.
                    For middle and high school years I like the recommendations found in "The Latin-Centered Curriculum."
                    And I've always said that daily Mass is the best Bible study program you can use. Our parish priest is wonderful about tying each day's readings to what has been covered in the weeks before. Getting all seven kids to church by 8:10 for Rosary and then Mass definitely, as Sarah says, "puts a serious crimp into our morning," but the payoff is huge. I am really hoping to add the Angelus at noon each day. Maybe if I set an alarm for 11:55, I can make it happen. Other than that we try to discuss what is going on in the liturgical year (the colors of the vestments, what feast day it was, Lenten and Advent observances, etc...).
                    Blessings,
                    Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.
                    DD24
                    DS21
                    DS18
                    DS16
                    DD14
                    DS11
                    DD9

Comment

Working...
                    X