Combine or Separate for History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combine or Separate for History

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums but we are finishing up our 2nd year of homeschooling. We used Prima Latina this past year and it worked really well for us. During this past year, I also read The LCC and issues of The Classical Teacher and I have fallen in love with MP and the concept of multum non multa. I am so excited about making the switch to mostly MP products.

My question is regarding history. Up to this point I have combined my daughter (5th grade) and son (3rd grade) for history, which has consisted of me reading to them from SOTW and other books, lots of narration, and a project here and there. In looking at the MP history sequence, it has occurred to me that perhaps now is the time to separate them and have each one doing his own thing because my daughter really is capable of doing more than has been required of her. My plan was to start them both in D'Aulaires as neither one remembers much of the mythology we've covered. I was also planning to use the study guide that goes along with the D'Aulaires book. Is it possible to keep them together and follow the study guide when they are rather far apart academically? Or is it best to go ahead and get each going on a separate track? And then what is the best way to have them both start with the Greek Myths but get my daughter moving along at a faster rate? Read some out loud to both and then have my daughter read ahead on her own? Or maybe start my daughter in the book and wait a few months before having my son begin? Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!

Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer.

Since your daughter is going to be in the 6th grade, she could do Famous Men of Greece alongside D'Aulaires. It would also be good for her to do our Trojan War study as part of her literature. Let both students listen to the reading of D'Aulaires, but your daughter will do the study guide for FMG rather than Greek Myths. This will ramp it up for her, but she will still get the fun of D'Aulaires. And everyone would be in the same culture for the year!

The next year, your daughter could do Famous Men of Rome in one semester and Famous Men of the Middle Ages the next semester, completing the study guides two lessons a week. Then, she would be ready to move directly into our Mills history studies alongside Homer, Virgil, and Dante over the following three years.

Your son could just follow our normal sequence, moving at a slower pace. He would take an entire year to complete Famous Men of Rome and move forward from there.

How's that sound?

Tanya

Comment

Hello

Welcome, Jennifer,
      I am an LCCer as well. Mr. Campbell's book combined with MP curriculum materials has helped our family stay focused on the essentials. And Tanya always gives the best advice.
      Blessings,
      Jude
      dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 3, dd 1
      DD23
      DS20
      DS18
      DS15
      DD13
      DS11
      DD8

Comment

Ditto

I am only homeschooling one but we also follow the LCC with MP materials. My copy is dog-eared I pick it up so much! I think Tanya's plan sounds pretty good.
        Blessings,
        Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

Thank you very much, Tanya. That does sound doable. That does lead me to another question, however. Should I then do States & Capitals first, followed by Geography I, then Geo II, each taking a year? Or do I speed those up in some manner as well?

Jennifer
          Last edited by guilfordlake; 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Jude & carmelitemom, for the welcome. I am hopeful that between LCC and MP, I can stay focused on the essentials, know my children are getting an excellent education, and stop being worried that I'm not covering everything.

Jennifer
            Last edited by guilfordlake; 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

States and Capitals may be too easy for your older student. You could either have the 6th grader do more research on each state than the younger child, or just use the U.S. Review for her, which will only take a few minutes a week. Then, she will have more time to spend on other subjects. That's probably a better use of her time. The next year, they can both do Geography I. There is plenty of time to get all this done, so I favor a slower, more relaxed approach. Do a little every year, but make it consistent, and your students will enjoy it more and you will be amazed at how much you get done!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Thank you

Thank you so very much, Tanya. I really appreciate the guidance.

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X