Kindergarten question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten question

What does the Kindergarten program assume the child knows before starting?
    Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
    Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
    Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Hello.

Our K program really doesn't assume anything since our phonics program begins with teaching each letter of the alphabet - recognition and writing. Of course, it is good if students know their alphabet and recognize numbers to 10 at least before beginning kindergarten, but our program doesn't assume that.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Ah that's good. I was beginning to get worried. My four year old knows about half of his letters and numbers up to five. He doesn't like to do things in order. He's currently obsessed with learning to add. He's can add anything up to ten, even though he can't reliably recite 1-10, and won't focus on anything else while he's obsessed with adding.
      Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
      Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Have you looked at our JK program? You might want to transition to K by using the little Rod & Staff math workbooks and our Alphabet Books from our JK program. It would be a gentle introduction.

Tanya

Comment

We started most of the K (minus math) about five or six weeks ago. I would say that it doesn't require previous knowledge, BUT if they don't know all the letters, including how to write them, you will have to start slowly. My daughter knew all of her letters, but has struggled to learn to write them. As a result, we have completed the first three weeks over about five or six in order to give her time to write all her letters correctly. The FSR teaches all the letters slowly, but they are needed for the copybook earlier in the year. You will probably have to decide if you want to start K slowly because you think he will catch on quickly, or maybe transition with the JR K books that practice writing and counting.

Comment

I have the Rod and Staff A through I books that we have been working on slowly. We end up with a lot of days where his current topic of obsession takes over or his sensory issues take over. I keep hoping that he'll make the alphabet his obsession sometime soon!

Comment

Working...
            X