Latin for a Third Grader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin for a Third Grader

I am not sure if I should start my upcoming third grader in Latina Christiana 1 or if Prima Latina is better suited for him...He has never done Latin before, and I am not sure I should skip Prima just for the sake of being caught up with the MP lesson plans...I wonder if Latina Christiana 1 would be too much for him...It would be nice to be able to do the year 3 package as planned, but I don't want to make that an unnecessary priority...Part of me really wants to be on schedule and do the lessons as planned, but the other part of me wants to tailor the packages...I believe one should tailor things when it is necessary, but I don't want to set the standard too low for them because I "think" they may not be able to do something...

Any advice?
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -18 (9/4/00) Graduated from homeschool
    DS -14 (9/9/04)
    DS -13 (7/3/06)

I think you could go either way. I've now had some time to look over LC1 and it is definitely more intense than PL although it incorporates everything we have just learned in PL. I'm glad we had an easier transition to Latin via PL. Learning the parts of speech is really emphasized in PL, where it is assumed you know what a noun, verb, adverb, etc. is in LC1. If your child doesn't know the parts of speech, I would suggest PL.

It is also possible to accomplish two lessons in one week with PL if you wanted to...even finish it over the summer or early fall if you really wanted to. Not that you have to "catch up", like you said.

LC1 could definitely be started without PL. You may have to hand hold a little more in the beginning, but that may be a better fit for him. Have you looked at the PL samples online? The teachers manuel is not like LC1, PL just is basically a copy of the students book with answers. So it is a lot easier to teach as well (if you are looking to ease your schedule). Hope this helps some!

Comment

Autumn Oak,

Your post reminded me very much of me, a couple of years ago, as I was very very hesitant to start Latin. I was not sure how my kids would take to it, and I had never had any exposure to it, so I did not know what I wanted to do.

I had tried Prima with my first, way back in her first grade, and then again in her second grade year, and it really seemed out of place for us. It was the only Latin we had been exposed to, and I struggled to find meaning and context for why we were doing it.

Fast forward a bit, and when my second child was in third last year, and my oldest was in fifth, we did LC I. This time around I got the dvds, they did the class together, I started them out in the year, but about a third of the way through, I realized they were doing fine without my "leading the class" and just let them go with it. They did great. I will say, if my third grader was doing it alone, I would have stayed right there to do it with him, because he needed a bit more help. My fifth grader handled it really easily. So that put my third on target with the MP lesson plans, but my fifth is "behind".

Then this year, we have all been doing First Form together. I did not have the full LC I experience before starting FFL, but I can tell for the kids, it was really worthwhile to have that exposure, learn a lot of the vocabulary, get the "hang" of the whole "other language" thing. As an adult, I didn't need it.

Okay, so there's our background. Now here's my overall impression, which I hope will be helpful to you. The way I see Latin now that we have a couple of years' experience with it is this. Latin is the centerpiece of our language arts. MP has done such a great job of explaining why to do this, that I won't reiterate that all. But they have me convinced.

While that is true, I see First Form Latin as really and truly their first year of actually studying the Latin language. It really is. That is what has transformed our family from "let's learn Latin" to "we are a classically educating family." By contrast, both LC I and Prima are very good, slow, gentle introductions to doing Latin. First Form should be your goal, but LC I gets you there a bit more easily, and Prima gets you to LC I a bit more easily.

So when I am now thinking about my next Third, and recently I have even changed my mind and decided to start Prima with my Second (for the first time) it is because they know how important Latin is to their older siblings, and this helps them feel included too.

That being said, even without the example of older siblings, having a third grader start in on LC I would be what I would do in your situation. (and I don't usually come out that concrete for other people) Because for me, I would not want to miss getting to start First Form on target. That is the real year that you want to get going, and fourth grade seems to be a great starting point for that, which was true for us, even though my son is age-wise only supposed to be in third grade.

I hope that helps a bit....MP has been great to include so many precursers to real Latin study, but First Form is really where you want to get, so don't delay too much in getting there

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Thank you Kargo and Sarah...

My upcoming third grade son will be an "older" third grader, as he will be 9 years old for the entire third grade year (his birthday is in September)...I see that many students are 9 in their 4th grade years...I wasn't, but see that many seem to be...Maybe that can also make a difference in his starting Latina...
        Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
        DS -14 (9/9/04)
        DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

Any thoughts on this Tanya :-)
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -14 (9/9/04)
          DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

I'm not Tanya, but I thought Kargo and Sarah were spot on.

If your child is comfortable with the basic parts of speech, you probably should just do LC I. If he isn't, then consider Prima. Sarah made a great point about being on track, and it boils down to your decision understanding your son's capabilities.

The age of your son is also to be considered. It sounds to me like he is ready for LC I.

Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Director, Schools Division
            Memoria Press

Comment

He is not yet comfortable with the parts of speech...He knows a noun and a verb, but not the others...Should I try and take him through some of Prima over the summer, or just do Prima next year?
              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
              DS -14 (9/9/04)
              DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

Hi, Tahara.

There's no rush here, so why don't you just do Prima Latina next year and take the time to nail the parts of speech. You still have plenty of Latin years, and I'm a fan of time off in the summer!

Tanya

Comment

May I ask a couple of questions? I think my rising third grader would do better with Prima Latina as well, since she is not yet comfortable with all of the parts of speech. If I sub out for Prima Latina, will I be able to get lesson plans for it as well? Also, will that cause any issues with the grammar portion of the curriculum? I understand that it is meant to line up with Latina Christiana.

Comment

Hello.

It will be fine to begin Latin with Prima Latina. When you order your package and ask to make the switch, just request the PL lesson plans, and we'll send them to you. It won't mess the grammar up either. Even though the grammar books are loosely tied to the concepts students are learning in Latin, it isn't a direct correlation, so your English grammar progress won't be affected at all by your Latin level.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, Tanya! That is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X