Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone starting 3rd grade curriculum in the summer or fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kargo,
    You've already completed most of a term, congratulations! We, on the other hand, won't be starting until late August/early September. We use RightStart Math and I usually start the first week(s) of school with math lessons only and some hikes or zoo visits. It helps me get back into the swing as much as them.
    I enjoyed the update. Thank you for sharing!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thank You!!!

Thank you so much for updating us! I just received the full first grade and third grade packages and plan on beginning school the week after next, I am so excited! I have a question maybe some other parents could help me with. This is our first time using a full curriculum package. We meet with a homeschool group for half a day on Mondays. I was wondering how it would work out if we worked through the curriculum plan, but on different days indicated. For example we would begin the week on a Tuesday, work through the plan as it is written but ignore the day of the week headings. This would carry the Friday on to the next week to be started on a Tuesday, and so on and so forth. I guess essentially I am saying that it would be a four day school week. My concern is that the weekend break in the middle of the "lesson plan week" would be disruptive. Having used this for so long now, do you have any thoughts on the issue? Or could anyone point to a thread that may be helpful? (I hope that made sense!)

Comment

Hi Jodi! I will try to answer your question..... I think you could at least try it and see how it goes. This is one thing I like about homeschooling, you can modify as you wish! So, if it doesn't go well, change it! I don't see why this scheduled wouldn't work.

When my kiddos were in 1st grade using the whole MP curriculum, we were able to combine Thursday and Friday very simply, so we completed a whole week of school in 4 days. So, that is one thing you could keep in mind.

As for 3rd grade, it is quite a lot more work and we haven't combined any days (we were able to combine 2nd grade as well). I don't think stopping for the weekend in the middle of the weekly lesson will hurt, but you may want to casually sneak an oral quiz to your 3rd grader as you go throughout the weekend on spelling, math and Latin just to keep the memory fresh or spend the other half of Monday refreshing. We work on recitation and drilling facts every time we get in the car as a game.

One thing I will say is some kiddos love routines in their schedule like my kiddos. So they know Mondays are the busiest days in our school and Fridays always have spelling test, etc. If your kiddos are like that, they may not like not knowing what "Tuesdays" will mean as far as schoolwork. I guess that would be one of the only negatives for our household if we implemented your schedule. But every family is different and that is why everyone homeschools a little differently. Try out your schedule and modify or adjust as needed! You will be fine!

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words! Grateful for the forum for advice and support!

Comment

Welcome Jodi!
            In my experience, I found that the week went best if we stuck to the M-F format as planned. I'm all about spontaneity, but it seemed like the work didn't flow as well or have as much synergy and momentum if we took days off here and there. The upside of this is that we were usually done by lunch (sometimes a late lunch) and that left the rest of the day and evening for other pursuits.
            HTH,
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Love this string!

Just read through these posts today and they are so helpful. Today I started JrK, 3rd with 4th grade math (for a fourth grader), 8th with a mix of MFW and MP, and 11th doing Classical Conversations. Wow, this year will be intense but we are all equally excited about it! I really love the 3rd grade lay out, and it will definitely challenge my 4th grader where she needs it, this being our first MP year. It all works together so well. My 8th dd is doing Rod and Staff English after using ACE and day one review we were in trouble, the EGR book that goes with the 3rd grade is going to be our lifeline I can tell. It is so simple, clear, yet thorough, I just can't say enough about how that makes me feel! I've always gotten lost in English Grammar, having Latina Chritiana (the instructional DVD's are the best!) along side EGR brings it all together like never before for me.
              So that is day one , I'll check back in after a few weeks!

Also JrK is perfect . My 4yo feels like big stuff.

Blessings and please keep posting, I love reading everyone's experience.

Maggie
              -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 16 grand babies 6 and under!
              2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
              Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Jodi,

Our school is a 4-day a week school. Our teachers get this work done in 4 days, but we divided it out into 5 days for homeschoolers. So, you could really move the worksheets around (lots of them are extra practice anyway) and probably get your teaching done in 4 days. But, this will depend on the pace in which your child works too. Look closely at the work and leave off anything your child doesn't need reinforcement in. But if you have a child who needs all the reinforcement, then your plan of slowing it down will be just fine. It really all depends on the student. But I did want you to know that you don't have to be tied to every single worksheet we assign. Choose the ones your student really needs to work on.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

We are using most of the 3rd grade with our 5th grader.

He actually got through the first 8 weeks of it last year before we started our summer break. He is doing Singapore 5 math and Megawords for spelling. We are also starting up a co-op at our church with four other families who are also using Memoria Press, so he will be doing CC Fable, FMOR, and the 4th grade lit instead of the 3rd grade there. The curriculum is so rich, and he is learning a ton.
                  4 boys
                  5th: MP Core 4 with MUS Epsilon
                  7th: MP 7th MUS Pre-Algebra
                  11th: This year seems like a mess now that he has done all of the MP cores.
                  College Freshman at Maine Maritime Academy: started MP courses way back in 5th grade
                  All: MP co-op on Wednesday

Comment

Anyone else have an update?

We are in our 17th week and everything is going great! I'm so impressed at the amount of material that my kiddos know and recall. I think sometimes we just don't understand what our kids can really do. It seems that Memoria Press knows what they are capable of doing.

Any other updates? What has worked, what hasn't?

Comment

Working...
                    X