Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone starting 3rd grade curriculum in the summer or fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone starting 3rd grade curriculum in the summer or fall?

Hello.

I just received my 3rd grade curriculum set last week and am so excited (and nervous too)! I wanted to know if anyone else on this forum will be starting 3rd grade with their kiddos this summer or fall? It might be fun to keep up with each other or give support during the year.

We are homeschooling pretty much year round, taking off when there are special occasions, vacations, company, etc., and plan on starting 3rd grade in the middle of June. We use the whole curriculum; although we did try substituting Math Mammoth for R&S, but homeschool became a struggle and my kiddos and I hated it. So, now we are back to R&S and love it! My husband (with an extensive math background) thought it might be a little better, but it was a horrible experience. Now we are doing the curriculum as is.

Also, anyone planning on attending the conference this summer? I'm just wondering how many homeschool parents attend.

We will be but likely will not start until September. We will not be doing Latin, NAC, or MP Grammar but are looking forward to the rest. My catalog is covered in stars and circles of everything I want. I have a shopping list all ready to go.

We run our school years year round, starting new subjects once the others are done. We are a bit behind where I would like us to be because I drifted (cough! cough!) from MP for a few months and made a mess of things so we are catching up.

I too tried 2 other maths (CLE and Singapore) before coming back to stay with R&S. The boys love the simplicity and predicabiity. My dh wanted me to consider BJU and showed it to the boys but they both said no way. The book looks "crazy". They love R&S and so do I. It just works.

I would love to go to the MP Conference but it doesn't look like I will be able to. I have never gone to any conference before and was really hoping to go this year. SIGH!
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

Hi Enigma! Thanks for responding.

We will be a little behind in math because of our mishap, but I think we will get caught up because, like 2nd grade, 3rd grade R&S math has the 1st 40 lessons as a review of 2nd grade.

I can relate to your magazine, however, we are lucky enough to live by a Christian bookstore that carries Memoria Press Curiculum (not quite everything). So, I often visit to look at the curriculum. Someday they are going to kick me out for comming in so often. Lol

I'm thinking about going but it would be a long trip by myself as my husband couldn't come :/

Comment

Hi Ladies! We will be joining in on the third grade list that is starting here , and I have not completely decided when to start yet, but probably beginning of August. We are expecting a baby in October, so I know there will be at least two weeks in there that I will lose, so we back up the beginning of the year to compensate.

I am so excited to start....we have been transitioning to MP by starting with the R&S subjects, Latin, Composition, and a bit of Literature, over the last year or so, and now this Fall we will jump in and go with 7, 5, and 3! I too keep looking at my list over and over again! I am trying to hold off until some of the summer projects MP is working on are done....just so I can feel that excitement of "here's our year, ready to go!"

We will also have a 2nd and K'er, but they have plans of their own I put together. I will be so excited to hear from others how their year is going, as I love learning suggestions from others to help our days go more smoothly. Which is why I would absolutely love to go to the conference...I haven't mapped it yet because I want to keep thinking it's possible! Fingers are crossed! LOL

Blessings to all,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Hi Kargo...

I will also have a third grader next year and we have a few things in common...I am doing R&S math 2 now after trying Math Mammoth...We fell a little behind as well but we will just go through as far as we can and start with the third grade curriculum when we start either in the summer or September...There is a lot of review in the beginning, and my son seems to be strong in math at the moment...

I wish I could go to the conference, but I am pretty sure it won't happen this year...I got to hear Martin Cothran speak in CT last year, so I guess I will have to listen to those talks again and hope to be able to come next year...Unless something works out :-)...

I also have an upcoming 1st grader and an upcoming 7th grader...
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
          DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
          DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Hi Sarah.

Congrats on the October Baby! It looks like you will have your hands quite full. I'm not sure I could keep up with all the curriculum AND an infant. God Bless You! You must be so well organized. I'm good at getting organized, but the maintenance is my problem.

After looking at the curriculum, it looks like I'll need one more thing, a huge whiteboard. LOL. I'm sure it won't be that bad (and I only have one grade of curriculum for my 2 kiddos), but I always look at the next years curriculum and get a little overwhelmed with the amount.

Autumn Oak,

Welcome also. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who had a hard time with that curriculum. I can't say they didn't learn anything for MM, but going back to the basics and really drilling the facts will benefit them in the long run. There were too many concepts to grasp and not enough mastery.

All,

I'm glad to know that we will have some support and guidance from each other (as well as the awesome Tanya). Classical education is something I wish I would have experienced earlier in life, but I feel privileged to be learning with my children through the Memoria Press curriculum.

Comment

Kargo, I have found having 3 2x3 magnetic whiteboards to be better than one big one. Two are hanging portrait (small end up and down) side by side in our schoolroom. I use these for G and D to drill Spelling words and our R&S Math board work. The 3rd is a 'floater' I use for the older guys in their schoolroom. I may buy a 4th one for them, too. I bought ours at CostCo for $20 each.
              The Homeschool Grads:
              J- 6/96
              S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
              G- 4/04
              D- 5/05
              F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
              M- 9/16

Comment

It sounds like many of us have a seventh grader too...yay! I am so thankful for this forum to find out how others are doing as well....Kargo, like you talked about the maintenance issue...of just keep plugging along....we of course go through that as well...especially when things come up to totally mess with the schedule....like morning sickness! (Which has finally passed)

Thank God for planning though....last summer I was still working on transitioning us all to be ready for MP, and so I wrote our own plans for the year.....they have had numerous adjustments, but just even having them was such a blessing to get back on track after crazy weeks came along.

With this coming year we will not only have MP's plans, ALL DONE FOR ME !!!! but also this forum to connect with other families too! Yay!

I do have some combining of kids that we do to help out....my oldest two do latin together with me, which will go a long way toward helping me teach the younger ones later on. My fifth grader will do Christian Studies I with my thirder, since he has not had a lot of OT. My current first and seconder had such similar subjects this year, that they worked together a lot. But I can see my one going into third has matured a lot this year, so putting her in a class with her older brother will be really good for her, and for him!

My k'er is actually going to start this summer....she is almost four, begging to read, and needs the constant one-on-one..so we will get her reading this summer to give her more things she can do when the rest start up.

It's a crazy schedule, but somehow, it all gets done!
                Have a great weekend everyone!
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

That's a great idea! I will look for some smaller ones. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                    It sounds like many of us have a seventh grader too...yay!

My k'er is actually going to start this summer....she is almost four, begging to read, and needs the constant one-on-one..so we will get her reading this summer to give her more things she can do when the rest start up.

Sarah
                    I will have two in seventh and one in Kindergarten this next school year.
                    Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                    Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                    Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

I am finishing 3rd grade right now and plan to start 3rd grade next fall with my current 2nd grader. Start date will probably depend on when I have the funds to get everything. I will be doing MP4 and MPK as well with a 3 yr old and baby under foot. Should be interesting. I definitely need a couple more white boards! We are a little "behind" in math right now. I abandoned RightStart math because it is just too difficult to do with all these levels. Spelling and math seem to be the last on the long list of things to get done.
                      Courtney
                      Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

We'll have one in 3rd grade this fall, too. My oldest will be doing her freshman year of college online at Fisher More College and working, my soon-to-be 16yo will be in 10th grade (a combo of Kolbe, OLVS, and MP), next oldest ds will most likely do MP's 7th grade (slightly modified, with some OLVS), then my 7yo will do straight MP grade 3 (with OLVS religion). I think I may buy Jr. K and do bits of it with my 3yo; she needs something to do or she starts tearing the house up. And it has to be something that engages her brain -- she has no patience with fluff. LOL

I'd love to go to the MP conference, but I don't think it's possible this year. I'll have to be content with the DVDs from last year's.
                        Wendy in VA
                        wife of 28 years to Chris
                        dd 24 (married to to sil 25)
                        ds 20
                        ds 18 - MP Latin, Logic, Literature, and Classsical Studies
                        dd 12 - modified MP 7
                        dd 8 - modified MP 2
                        ds 6 - MP K

Comment

Wendy, how did you get DVDs from last year's conference?
                          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                          DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                          DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                          DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

I'll be starting 3rd grade too with my second boy - probably the week of Labor Day. I'm doing the full curriculum, with the exception of math (I use Singapore).
                            Mom to 5 boys, ages 10 down to 1

Comment

Oooo.... I'm so excited to see everyone responding! Courtney, you can be our expert since you are finishing and restarting 3rd grade curriculum.

Wendy, I'm interested too where you bought the DVDs. Sounds like you can give expert parenting advise too!

Comment

Working...
                              X