Handwriting for Kindergarten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handwriting for Kindergarten

Do I need to get a separate handwriting program to work on strokes and basics, or does the writing portion cover that?

(Background: We are using Horizons Pre-K workbooks for basic phonics and math this year. There is some handwriting of letters and occasionally short words. Once we finish, I have been planning to start the complete Memoria Press K, only subbing Horizons for the math.)

I know she is ready for phonics instruction - she tries to sound out words on her own and is sometimes successful. However, her handwriting is.. well... she gets creative. Sometimes she does the letter correctly and sometimes she needs to be reminded of the correct strokes. I don't want to overwhelm her with handwriting, but also don't want to skip her ahead.

Thanks
    Ashley

DD (MP 3rd Grade), DS1 (MP 1st Grade), DS2 (AYOPS Pre-K), DS3 (2/2016), DS4 (Due 10/2017)

Virtus in Infirmitate Perficitur

Hello.

Our kindergarten program has plenty of writing practice! First Start Reading is a phonics program that incorporates writing, so the students are practicing writing the lessons as they learn them. Also, we have a copybook that students work in each week. I feel like your student will master manuscript with no problem in kindergarten. In first grade, we continue to work on manuscript as all the student work is completed in print. But students also learn cursive in first grade, so by the end of that year, they are writing pretty fluently in cursive.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

I don't disagree with Tanya by any means that there is a lot of handwriting practice in the Kindergarten program. My k-ers handwriting has become quite nice over the course of our school year thanks to all the practice she has gotten. People regularly comment on it.

Maybe it is assumed that kids have already learned the basics of writing when beginning the program - I'm honestly not sure. We did not homeschool for preschool but my daughter attended a very relaxed, (wonderful!) non-academic preschool where they did some writing, but nothing major beyond their names. When we started leaning towards homeschooling around Christmas time the year she was four, we used the pre-K Handwriting Without Tears book to practice basic strokes and then over the summer we completed Memoria's Alphabet Books. I am so very thankful we did this or I think the writing in the Kindergarten program would have been a bit overwhelming/frustrating for her. However, the little prep she did do was enough to boost her confidence for the writing required during this past school year. She was able to focus on improvement of her skills rather than completely starting from square one.

Just another perspective for you...hope it helps.
      Blair
      Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
      SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
      A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
      M - 5 - starting MP 1st
      F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
      CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
      GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

Thank you Tanya & Hilary. Both perspectives are very helpful!
        Ashley

DD (MP 3rd Grade), DS1 (MP 1st Grade), DS2 (AYOPS Pre-K), DS3 (2/2016), DS4 (Due 10/2017)

Virtus in Infirmitate Perficitur

Comment

FYI in our experience - I started my uber eager 3 year old in the Alphabet Books and she wasn't ready. We then did HWOT PreK and now she's almost 4 (end of July!) and she's very eager and excited about the Alphabet Books from Memoria Press. She just needed a little time (and something bigger) to start with.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · Homeschooling since 2011.
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4
          DS Summer 2014 · K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre
          DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Working...
          X