George Washington=Cincinnatus statue in DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Washington=Cincinnatus statue in DC

Did I read in the FMRome book that the statue of George Washington in toga is symbolic of his similarities with Cincinnatis?

Hi, Mollie.

That reference to the Washington statue is in the FMR study guide under "Activities." The statue is in the Smithsonian Museum of American History in D.C. I've seen it there, and it's pretty impressive (not the way one generally thinks of Washington - unless one is classically educated and knows the reference!).

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

We saw it too and told our grandparents all about it! They were super impressed. BUT, now I'm learning it's not true? I was talking to a friend on Facebook about it and he said that statue is Washington represented as Zeus. I googled it and it looks like that is what the Smithsonian said also. There is one that is based after Cinncinatus but not in DC. I sure hope this is wrong because we've told more people about that story! I am always eating humble pie...!

Comment

Hi, Mollie.

I'm confused too. I see references to both Zeus and Cincinnatus when I google this statue. I wonder if the sculptor created it based on Zeus, but over time, with all the comparisons of Washington to Cincinnatus, it got recognized differently? I can't really find a definitive answer for this. I'm looking for the first reference to this statue being compared to Cincinnatus, but I've had no luck. Maybe someone else can help us?

Tanya

Comment

Well I'm glad it's not just me! Yes, love to find out now...

Comment

Washington and Cincinnatus

Maybe you are thinking of the statue of Washington in the state capitol at Richmond VA. Washington is wearing his general's uniform, but the statue associates him with Cincinnatus because there is a farmer's plowshare next to him, and he has one hand on the Roman fasces (with 13 rods for the 13 colonies). I believe there are several copies in museums around the country.

As far as I know, the statue that attempted to make him look like Zeus has nothing at all to do with Cincinnatus.

Cheers.
            Bonnie

Comment

I think Bonnie's correct. We just have our statues mixed up.

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

so the one in FMRome is in the state capital, not DC? maybe i read it wrong in the book

Comment

My FMR guide just says:

George Washington and Cincinnatus are frequently compared. How are the two similar?

The answer reads:

Washington and Cincinnatus were both ... Many of the portraits and statues of Washington show him with a traditional Roman wig, toga, or military uniform in deference to the political influence of Rome on the U.S. and its leaders."

I think that when I saw the statue at the Smithsonian, I made the assumption that it was a comparison to Cincinnatus because of this knowledge, but I was incorrect!

Tanya

Comment

I was too!

Comment

What's so bad is that this person who corrected me, got his information from one of Dan Brown's books (yes, of DaVinci Code)! Aghhhh!!

Comment

Working...
                      X