New homeschool mom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New homeschool mom!

My daughter is presently in Pre-k in our local catholic school. We decided to homeschool her starting next year and our 4 yr old (with little 2 1/2 yr old not far behind).

So we are new to homeschooling and I have been researching different curriculums and I was looking at Sonlight and love the FIAR idea but my daughter just loves workbooks so with Sonlight I didn't want to spend all that money just to supplement with tons of workbooks. Well I stumbled upon Memoria Press curriculum today and ...Wow! It really seems to be the best of all worlds!

Seems to offer literature, workbooks and the weekly read aloud book! For some reason I assumed Memoria was anti-catholic, don't know where I got that idea...but I see that's not the case! Maybe because of Rod & Staff...which Ill swap out with something else. That seems to be the only drawback. The teachers manual looks easy to follow as we'll!

I can't wait to start be school year and just wanted to share my excitement! Looks like it will be easy to add the consumables with my two younger ones as the grow and the 1st grade curriculum looks wonderful too!

Welcome!

Dear New mom, congrats on deciding to homeschool, and I wish you well on the decision-making process. If you read through older posts on this forum you will see how much we all love Memoria Press!

We too are a Catholic family, and have been very very pleased with the quality of the choices Memoria has made. I just wanted to give a small plug for Rod and Staff math as well. As you can tell from recent threads, it has been a topic of discussion lately!

Our oldest student is currently in sixth, we are schooling five with a toddler, and are expecting again in October. Our oldest did MCP math until fourth, when we tried Saxon for two levels, Life of Fred for a supplement, and then finally found Rod and Staff. (My younger kids also did math u see, Seton, and Horizons for a bit too) We are now doing Rod and Staff for every grade,and it is so much better. I will not go into the specifics of all of those, unless you would like to know specifics, but as mentioned in the other posts over Math, Rod and Staff is just a great, solid, thorough way of learning math.

It has been such a blessing to our family to no longer have to struggle over Math, that I did not want you to dismiss Rod and Staff. It's really the best that we have found.

AMDG,
    Sarah (five dd's, one ds, and one? due in Oct)
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Thank you so much! Any knowledge is helpful and seems you have experience with different programs. I'm anxious to get a look at Rod & Staff at a homeschool convention. You have peaked my interest!

Comment

Glad to be of help Since I personally have only been to one convention, and that was strictly Catholic providers, I don't know if R & s does conventions. Tanya, from MP could let you know if they share views of them at Memoria's convention, but another option is to go to the milestoneministries.com website, where they allow you to see inside their books.

A word of experience too....these are not flashy, not colorful, but simple, solid, traditional math textbooks. They may not look as hip or fun as others but the instruction is more solid. And make sure to check out the teacher manuals, as those have been one of my favorite parts of the program. They are superbly more helpful than any others.

Just my humble opinion!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        (Who's lurking a lot to distract from m/s !)
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Hello.

There is generally a R&S booth at all major conventions, and they have all of their books on display. I don't think you will have a difficult time putting your hands on them. And check our Conventions page out on our website. We will have them with us when we travel too.

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Tonya, will I be able to purchase the whole curriculum at the convention? I will be attending the CHAP in Harrisburg, PA.

Also is there a teachers guide to go along with the read alouds?

Comment

Just wanted to mention that there is a Yahoo Group for Catholics who use MP. It's called Memoria Press Catholic.

Sue

Comment

Hello.

We will be at CHAP this year. We don't carry entire packages with us when we travel because we don't have room for more than our display baskets, but if you let us know you are going to purchase a package at a convention, we'll be glad to bring it with us so you can have it there. Also, we will give you free shipping on anything you buy at a convention.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

There is no teacher's guide for the read alouds. They are used as a starting point for social studies and science sort of like FIAR, if you choose to use them that way. For us, it was simply reading and exposure to great children's stories.
                  The Older Boys:
                  J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                  S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                  G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                  D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                  F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                  M- 9/16:
                  2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
                  2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

Welcome! We are another devout Catholic family using and loving MP! I have not found anything objectionable and we really enjoy the Christian studies. Great bible study and love the built in memory work. We just add our own catechism and saint study along with celebrating the liturgical year.

Comment

Hello.

The Enrichment Guide for the read-alouds for kindergarten is coming very soon! I just need to get a few maps added to the back, and I'll send it off to the printer. We're hoping to complete Enrichment Guides for 1st-2nd grades this summer.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

I forgot about the Enrichment guide coming. I am so sorry for handing out false information.
                        The Older Boys:
                        J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                        S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                        D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                        F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                        M- 9/16:
                        2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
                        2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

Great! I can't wait to see everything and I will look into the memoria press catholic forum!
                          I've looked at so many curriculums and this seems like it will fit our family well!

Comment

Working...
                          X