IEW's Writing S&S vs. Classical Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanya,
    If you remember would you mind posting an update when it is done? If it is added in before fall when I start Fable I won’t need to supplement!

Comment

I'll do my best to remember, and we do have more freedom on our new website to advertise things like that now. It is difficult for me to remember every new thing we do since I spend my days in the midst of new things - a large part of my job. But feel free to ask any time for an update, and we'll be able to tell you where we are. I'm waiting on Selby right now, so it will be a couple of months before I know anything myself.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Will do Tanya, I'll check in on it in a couple of months!
        Thank You

Comment

So, in a nutshell, you foresee that there won't be any needed supplementation in the future for writing/composition?

I am selling some used material but I wanted to be sure before I do.
          Blessings,
          Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

Theresa,

If you have any materials that teach the basic writing concepts we have been talking about (3 point essays with an opening and closing paragraph, topic sentences, and research writing), you may want to hang on to them. Though we plan to incorporate these into our Classical Comp program, I don't know when that will be. We have so many great ideas floating around here, but everything always takes longer to incorporate than we anticipate. I'd hate for you to sell your books and then we don't get it done before you need it.

Tanya

Comment

Okay.

I wasn't too worried about the timing since my daughter is only 3rd grade and we plan to be with MP for the long haul : ) I figured by the time she reaches the point that she needs to start learning those types of writing, you would probably already have it incorporated.

Thanks for your time.
              Blessings,
              Theresa George

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

essay help: lost tools

I have been keeping up with this thread, and have to agree that it would be wonderful to have everything we need for writing instruction in one program.

However, since the cc program is really only lacking work on writing essays, another option out there is to include Andrew Kern's Lost Tools of Writing program as well. I was just reviewing the course description again, as I am trying to make decisions for my seventh grader who has not even started cc yet.

The course uses the persuasive essay as its tool for offering instruction. Therefore it actually sounds like it would blend really well with what CC offers. It does not specifically address research papers, but their response to that is that the skills they teach can be expanded to apply to research papers as well.

The program has two levels, with twelve essays taught in the first level. (I didn't see a description for the second level.)

I have met Andrew Kern at conferences before, and have listened to many of his podcasts from his CIRCEInstitute website. He is an inspiring teacher, and I have been looking forward to using his program. Plus he has DVDs available to assist as well.

Because it fills in a gap that is missing from CC anyway, I can see a nice complementarity there and am planning to use them together, with the Lost Tools taking on a "monthly class" spot, with assignments worked on gradually throughout the month, and the CC as her regular daily composition work.

AMDG,
                Sarah
                Last edited by KF2000; 02-16-2013, 08:28 AM.
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+
                DS, 18 months

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Sarah. I have heard of LTW but haven't checked it out yet since my daughter is still young. I am thinking along the same lines as you...if I need to supplement regarding specific writing instruction e.g. essays, then I can always pick a program that is specifically geared towards that.

I, personally, had a hard time incorporating IEW which led me to stick with Classical Writing.

Next year we will begin MP Fable along with the DVD.
                  Last edited by carmelitemom; 02-16-2013, 01:25 PM.
                  Blessings,
                  Theresa George

Comment

Yes, Theresa, I too have been slow to jump into IEW. I have mulled over it so much, and then this year my eldest (the current sixth grader) got to do an IEW class with some friends once a month. All the other kids had had a year of IEW in this same class format the previous year, but my daughter had not. So she jumped into the IEW Continuing Course class with no IEW experience at all!!!

A couple of things we noticed: right off the bat, she loved it because it provided concrete 'pieces' to help her craft her writing; it eliminated some elements of stress in the writing process so she was more free to be creative; and it helped her actually enjoy writing.

From my perspective, a couple of things: she was fully capable of 'holding her own' so-to-speak from only having the Rod and Staff writing background; and also, once she learned the sort of "tips and tricks" that IEW uses, there hasn't really been that many "new" things that she has continued to learn. It has merely been more practicing of these same things throughout the year.

Also, she had a difficult time telling me if the enjoyment she has had was from IEW specifically or from the quality of the teacher teaching the class (she is an awesome instructor) and from the fun of having classmates doing it together with her. In reality, her Rod and Staff experience has been, on a technical level, just as good as IEW. (which was a relief to me)

Therefore, since my next upcoming children will have the CC program to do, and I already have the R & S books, I will be well situated for composition. I actually had to edit this today as I have been looking and thinking through things. Since Memoria still uses Rod and Staff grammar for seventh, there is still a lot of comp work in there, that we could use to fill in with until CC gets updated.

I am second guessing myself about adding another "program" because I had forgotten that I really wanted to start the Memoria Logic course in seventh....This is the sifting process! We don't have time for all, which is why I trust Memoria so much. Sorry that this got so long...

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    Last edited by KF2000; 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM.
                    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 7.5
                    DD, 5.5
                    +DS+
                    DS, 18 months

Comment

Tanya,
                      I was wondering if you knew yet if there were going to be any additions to CC fable for fall?

One of my two kids starting fable in 4th in the fall is a reluctant writer. We have done WWE 1-2 and are currently finishing up the MP Intro to Comp. Any important skills you think I should work on with a reluctant writer over the summer?

Comment

Hello.

It sounds like you are doing fine with writing practice. Since you have a reluctant writer, I'm not sure I'd take up summer break with more writing! I think when you begin the Fable in the fall after a nice break, it will be an easy transition. We aren't anticipating any changes to the program. Do you think adding the Fable dvds would help? It would give your student an opportunity to listen to someone else teach, so it might give you a break and be worth a try!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya, I actually am thinking of enrolling both kids in the online class. I just haven't decided because I know if we do it on our own I can slow it down and take into summer if needed. However, a push from someone else may be just what my reluctant writer needs!

Comment

Yes, an online class would be nice because you would have the benefit of a live teacher rather than a dvd teacher. But either should work well for you!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Tanya, I missed this post back when it was new. Would it be OK to share your comparison document with my local homeschool group? I mean, repost it... or is it proprietary? The author's name is on it; I wouldn't be trying to pass it off as my own work.

Jen
                              DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Hi, Jen.

Sure you can share it with your group. I hope it's helpful!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                                X