IEW's Writing S&S vs. Classical Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IEW's Writing S&S vs. Classical Comp

How does Classical Composition compare to IEW's Writing Styles & Structure? Are they similar in educational approach or totally different?

Hello.

I'm attaching a doc that makes this comparison for you.

Regards,

Tanya
    Attached Files

Comment

This was excellent to read. I am glad this question was posted.

One doesn't necessarily need IEW though if strictly using CC? Would that be correct?
      Blessings,
      Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

That was interesting. I think some kids will respond better to one program or the other but to ask a child to do both would be too much.

Does one need either if using R&S English?
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

The major thing that I see you can get from IEW that you don't get from CC right now is the traditional 3-point 5-paragraph essay, mastering topic sentences, and writing a research paper. These are all topics that we feel need to be added to CC eventually.

Enigma, R&S English does have lots of writing practice exercises, so if you do those lessons, you really could get by without another formal writing program. The problem with teaching writing in R&S is that you are left to supervise and monitor your students' work, so you need to have a good understanding of how to edit your students' writing, and that is an area that lots of homeschool teachers feel uneasy with. The repetition in the writing exercises in CC makes it easier to grade, I think.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
            Are you thinking of adding those things to CC? We will be starting with Fable next year. If not, any suggestions on good resources to work on this without using IEW since doing both would be too much?

Edited to add: And my other thought is at what age is best to add in the missing elements from IEW?
            Last edited by Mama2Two; 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

We are thinking of adding these things to CC. I have spoken to Jim Selby about it, and he is planning to work on it soon. I'm not sure which IEW program actually teaching these concepts, but I'm sure anyone at IEW could help you. I know they have some unit kind of studies, so maybe there are a couple of smaller unit studies that teach basic 3-point paper writing skills and research writing. And if there is something like that, it would be great if you posted it here for others to see.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

That would be wonderful if you could add that as a course/supplement. I would prefer to stick with one curriculum.
                Blessings,
                Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Comment

Tanya,
                  Any timeline about when the additions may be ready?

What do you think about just doing the composition from R&S to supplement CC? Would that fill in some of the holes?

And if you do that would it make sense to do all of the R&S English or would it still be better to do the MP grammar in conjunction with applicable latin?
                  Last edited by Mama2Two; 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

IMO, I think the idea behind MP dropping R&S for grammar is that the Latin already has so much in it that to do Latin and R&S is overkill. The new grammar program is supposed to reinforce the Latin grammar by showing how it applies to English without adding a lot of unecessay work for the child or parent.

Tanya, thank you for your reply. I will keep it in mind as we go along. I have not decided what we will do quite yet for writing. I plan to use the MP 3rd grade writing program for sure. I will have to see if we can use CC based on G's needs. I am still unsure if he will be able to do diagramming. I plan to give it a shot, at least. The new DVDs will prove invaluable if we do.
                    The Homeschool Grads:
                    J- 6/96
                    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                    G- 4/04
                    D- 5/05
                    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                    M- 9/16

Comment

You could fill in some of the holes with R&S English writing activities if you have the R&S grammar book. And you can certainly use the grammar exercises too, but as Enigma points out, it is more grammar than you really need if you are doing a Latin program. We just feel your time would be better spent on more writing work and on your Latin grammar than the hour a day it takes to complete the R&S English book in its entirety. That said, though, if we were going to do a comprehensive English grammar program, R&S would be our choice.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Oh, and I'm not sure when we will have the addition of these basic writing concepts added to Classical Comp. I'm hoping to get that done by the end of the summer.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

That makes perfect sense, I'll plan on staying with the new MP grammar. I will add in just R&S composition exercises.to the CC We school year round so that should be easy to do.

As always, thank you!

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                            Hello.

I'm attaching a doc that makes this comparison for you.

Regards,

Tanya
                            Tanya, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I opened such a can of worms...lol...! My dd will be in 5th grade next year, and we recently ordered your curriculum. However, I'm starting her out in the "Fable" stage since she's never worked with anything like it before.

I may try to implement the key word outlines with the passages in CC Fable if I can figure it out to my satisfaction. I just couldn't order both programs. IEW is so expensive and it seems, from your comparison attachment, that CC will be just fine anyway.

Will the additions you're planning for CC be incorporated into the next stage of CC after Fable as well?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello.

You didn't open a can of worms at all. That's what this forum is all about. We like the conversations being generated.

I'm not sure where these basic writing concepts will be placed within the CC program yet. Jim Selby is working on the program over the next few months and will make that decision himself. But if we end up putting it in a program that you have already completed, we would always be glad to send you the additions from that program once we have them.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X