Grammar Progression - Not Sure I Understand Your Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar Progression - Not Sure I Understand Your Plans

I'm a little confused on the plans for Grammar that you are working on. I see that your Grammar I book goes along with LC1 and that Grammar II book goes along with FF1. Will you also be coming out with a Book III and IV and V to go along with FF2, FF3, and FF4 respectively? And where does the English Grammar Manual fit in?

Will Rod & Staff continue to be used in the curriculum packages as well or will those be discontinued at some point?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion; I appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 7th grade who is behind (just finishing Prima Latina and no formal grammar up to this point). We plan on continuing to LC1 since I already have it unless I'm really compelled to do First Form Latin I.

Cynthia
    Mom to DS15 (learning delays), DD12 and DS2
    Cynthia

DS19 - Eeyore - LDs/Aspergers
    DD16 - Kanga
    DS6 - Tigger/Roo/F5 Tornado

I can help, I think.

MP plans to create their own grammar books to go along with each level of First Form.

The manual is simply the questions and the answers for all the grammar rules MP will cover with their grammar series. It does not have any excerises.

R&S English will be discontinued from the plans as the new MP grammar is written. The old plans with R&S will always be available by calling the office. You can order the textbooks from www.milestonebooks.com.

HTH!
    Last edited by Enigma; 02-04-2013, 12:09 AM.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

Thanks, Enigma--that was spot on!

Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Clarify more...

So if I can just ask also to clarify a bit...

There will be a "grammar manual"...which will be the rule book that covers all the levels of grammar;

AND

a "grammar series" which will be grade-level specific, and coincide with First Form.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thanks that makes perfect sense now.

What is planned for after the 7th grade package since that's the end of First Form? So 8th and up?

Anyone care to take a stab at "I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 7th grade dd who is behind (just finishing Prima Latina and no formal grammar up to this point). We plan on continuing to LC1 since I already have it unless I'm really compelled to do First Form Latin I." Should I do the new grammar along with LC and FF or would that be too young for her?

Cynthia
          Mom to DS15 (learning delays), DD12 and DS2
          Cynthia

DS19 - Eeyore - LDs/Aspergers
          DD16 - Kanga
          DS6 - Tigger/Roo/F5 Tornado

Comment

Cynthia,

I feel like this new grammar program alongside Latin will be fine for your daughter. You could possibly move more quickly through it since she is older, but Latin is going to be such a help with her grammar that all you are looking for is a supplement to the Latin, and our new grammar program will provide that for you. If you get started with it and feel like it isn't enough of a challenge or enough reinforcement, you can always seek additional exercises in a traditional grammar book, like the Rod & Staff grammars that we like.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Sarah,

The "Grammar Manual" accompanies the "Grammar Series" just like the Henle Grammar accompanies all four Henle texts (if you are familiar with Henle). So you could use the English Grammar Manual as a reference through all the years of the English Grammar Series.
              The "Grammar Series" will be age specific and makes explicit in English what the students have learned in Latin.

Cynthia,

Cheryl Lowe would like to do some more grammar workbooks for after 7th grade but we are still working on 5th and 6th grades! Her opinion is that students need a couple years of reinforcement with these concepts before they have it solid, just like in Latin. All that's to say I don't think we will have workbooks geared towards your child's age when you need them.

However, if your child has had no formal grammar training, starting at the beginning of the grammar series and going through it quickly cannot hurt. I wouldn't spend a year on Book One, but perhaps do both Books One and Two in the same year alongside First Form.

As for whether to do First Form or Latina Christiana, I would recommend First Form. It is geared more to the age of your student and will progress at a good speed. The grammar books are not tied to the Latin program in such a way that you have to be in Book Two while you do First Form or something like that. Starting in First Form and taking the English Grammar series quickly seems to be the best way to me.

Paul
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Third grammar book ready?

In preparing for seventh, I have another question about grammar...

Will the Grammar for the Grammar Stage Book III that goes along with Second Form be ready for the fall? I will have a seventh grader who will be doing Second Form, and would prefer to get book III rather than buy rod and staff's book which would then only get used for one child.

That would work,right? The grammar books are intended to go along with the Latin program they are in?

Thanks!
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Hi, Sarah.

I feel like we will have Book III ready by the end of the summer. We are working on it now and making good progress.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

confused about Grammar and boxed curriculum

Before I knew that I wanted to use MP boxed curriculum, I purchased the new Grammar I and II books. Later, I purchased boxed curriculum for my 5th, 3rd and K students.

For my 5th grader, who is starting First Form Latin, should I still follow the lesson plan for the R&S English in addition to the second grammar book? Should we read the R&S lessons as they correspond and do the exercises in the MP Grammar? Maybe use R&S as a supplement if we need further instruction?

(And also, where can I find First Form lesson plans?)

For my 3rd grader, who will be doing Latina Christiana, should he do the R&S book or the introductory grammar book?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
                    Michelle

2017-2018
                    9th grade MPOA diploma program
                    7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
                    4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
                    2nd grade MP core
                    3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
                    Veritas et Fides

Comment

Mamabearjd...

I would just use the MP Grammar books if you are doing Latin...Rod & Staff comes with the 5th grade package, but if you would rather use the MP Grammar II book along side First Form Latin, you can call or email the office and request lesson plans for just that one subject...You would then get lesson plans that go along with the grammar II book...It is a very inexpensive option...Then you could use those instead of Rod & Staff if you want to go that route...I would not do Rod & Staff, Latin, and the MP Grammar book...That is just too much, like watering your grass while it is raining :-)
                      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                      DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                      DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                      DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

If you do have grammar workbooks that go into 7th and 8th grade (I have a Ker and don't need them soon!) will they do sentence diagramming eventually? I notice that is not in the lower levels, and I was wondering if you prefer to hold off till older children or to not use diagrams at all.

Comment

Hello.

Good reply, Autumn Oak. I will just add that you can get the First Form lesson plans from us for $3 to cover our shipping costs. They are part of the 4th grade lesson plans, but we can send you individual plans for most subjects.

And to armymom, We begin diagramming a little in Workbook II of the Grammar Recitation, and diagramming is continued from there forward.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Another question to add....
                            If I choose to wait on Latin, should I also wait on the MP grammar books, or could they be used effectively without Latin?
                            Thank you!

Comment

Hello.

Our Grammar Recitation can be used without a Latin program, but if you aren't doing Latin, you will want to add some supplementary exercises for practice. Our goal was for this program to supplement the grammar that Latin teaches so well. I know of another family who is using our grammar program alongside the exercises in First Language Lessons, and I think that is working well.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X