Can 4 year olds normally understand rhyme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can 4 year olds normally understand rhyme

I have been using MP JK full curriculum since the fall with my dd4 (aug bday). She understands beginning sounds but not ending sounds. She can pick out front and end of a line of objects though. When ending sounds started coming up in her alphabet books, she was just guessing. She's still just guessing. I've blatantly told her and then tried to work back up to finding them...no luck. I am trying just to have her tell me what she hears at the end (not to tell me the letter) and still just guessing. I then realized that she also doesn't seem to understand rhyming words. After a few weeks of rhyming matching card games (downloaded), she's starting to be accurate about 50% of the time with pictures/words that she's gone through once already.

I've also pulled out the Dr Suess books (hop on pop, green eggs and ham, etc...)and with each page, initially just repeat the rhyming words, then have been able to occasionally get her to fill in the rhyme by waiting. I've tried pausing before saying the end of the phrase as I read in these and other picture books that rhyme for her to fill in the blank...she's just as likely to come up with a word that makes total sense for the story but doesn't rhyme at all.

At best, I seem to be getting her to memorize words that rhyme but not be able to come up with them (at this point I have about 30 matching pairs to play with (only use 8 at a time so far...giving her all of them would be torture for everyone at this point! hehe)

Is she just too young for the concept? Through my younger daughter (dd2) I am aware of the concepts of auditory processing issues (dd2 is apraxic but doesn't seem to have any other learning issues). Would this be something to keep in mind? am I just being paranoid???lol

(I'm a _very_ new homeschooler so I'm also worried that admitting to non-homeschoolers that something may not be working correctly just reflects on my inability to teach her correctly. )

All is well

Hello,
    Here is my $ .02.
    Please do not stress about this at all. She is just not developmentally ready. The ending sound is much harder for young minds to isolate from the rest of the word. Read her poetry, nursery rhymes, etc... Sing silly songs and make up rhymes as you go through your day. ("I'm going to cook the meat, because we all want to eat. Then I'll stir it with my feet!") Pre-kindergarten should be fun, not work. If you did nothing with her other than read, live life, observe the world around, color, count things, and play games, she would still be ready for kindergarten work. I know people find a packaged curriculum comforting (being able to check off lists and not worry that you have skipped something), but don't let the curriculum work you. She is wired to learn. And if she does not enjoy matching up those rhyming cards, I would ditch them.
    Blessings,
    Jude

Dd 15, Ds, 12, Ds 10, Ds 8, Dd 5, Ds 3, Dd 9 mos.
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

Relax, there is time...

4, huh? I never really thought that children needed to be in school at 4. Mandatory reporting age is 7 in many states, so I think you have time.

I have a 12 yr old and I'm finally getting on track with homeschooling.

As with life, there will be ups and downs in homeschooling. I totally botched my son's math education, but he's rebounding and getting on track now. I'm with Jude, have some fun. Take a break and go to the zoo, or park or something where you can have some fun for a day (or couple of hours). Our little guys have liked memorizing Bible verses, short poems, or even facts put to song; often before I had them reading and writing.

Of course read-aloud time was always a sweet time for us all.

Have some fun!
      Kami

Comment

Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement. This year hasn't been terribly formal and she honestly loves MP JK. It started as a practice run for me to try this whole homeschooling thing out

For future readers, I wanted to add some information that I found. Apparently not understanding rhyme or hearing locations of sounds within words by age 4 (and a host of other things I hadn't even realized were involved), while individually are not concerning, when taken together are early signs of Dyslexia. Not the end of the world certainly, but it would change how you approach your teaching.

For those future readers who are interested in more information, this site has been very helpful. http://www.dys-add.com/index.html
        If you have questions, you can email Susan Barton from there and she'll actually respond with real information and direction.

Enjoy your weekend, all!

Comment

Working...
        X