Phonics set and readers for Kindergarten

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phonics set and readers for Kindergarten

What can you tell me about the phonics readers and other readers for Kindergarten? We have some Bob Books (and then a plethora of things like I Can Read!) but outside of the list for Memoria Press curriculum, I've never heard of the EPS Primary Phonics readers or the American Language series readers. Yes I found a few reviews here and there while Google searching, I'm just curious to hear more. Why were these chosen? What are they about? What makes them a better choice or are they even comparable to things like the Bob Books or HarperCollins Phonics sets (a handful of themed phonics sets have come out in the last year and more are coming).

Thanks to anyone who has used them and can share their tales!
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4
    DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre
    DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    CherryBlossomMJ

Phonics readers

I bought the first reader in the American Language set, but held off on purchasing the others. (I already own McGuffey's primer and a Catholic primer.) At the time I was starting kindergarten with my daughter I was so swamped, I wanted to have most of the the books mentioned in the first few months on hand and not worry too much about substitutions. But since she was my fifth child, I knew that the reading lightbulb was probably going to pop on before assignments started in the next book. Sure enough, a few weeks into the first phonics reader, she just started reading on her own: the rest of the book that hadn't yet been assigned, street signs, books around the house, food packaging, etc...At that point, while I continue with some phonics instruction as we go, we leave the readers behind and move onto real books.
    I will say that I like the uncluttered style of the American Language readers. There are color pictures, which can open up another whole debate about whether illustrations in readers are good or bad. That is to say, is the child reading or making good word guesses based on the picture? But I thought the font was a nice size and the lines well-spaced. You could certainly use another phonics reader or even check out one from the library, if money was an issue.
    Blessings,
    Jude

Dd 15, Ds 12, Ds 10, Ds 8, Dd 5, Ds 3, Dd 9 mos

Comment

Hello.

The EPS readers are comparable to the Bob books, so you could easily substitute with Bob. Those are the readers we start with, and then we move into the ALS readers. They are written with specific emphasis in a certain area. For example, Fun in the Sun uses short vowel words, and they get more complicated from there. But, as Jude says, you can easily substitute with other phonics readers that you already own. Their main purpose is to give students practice in reading at their level as they progress through phonics.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thank you both.

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
        DD Summer 2011 · SC4
        DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
        DD Summer 2017 · Pre
        DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
        CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I wanted to acknowledge something I did not realize before. I was thinking that the ALS readers were just one story per book and that's why I was so shocked at the price. Knowing now (from looking at page number assignments in the lesson plans) that there are many more I'm not so opposed. I may have to order those after all. (Though I'll still with the Bob Books over adding in the EPS, too..)

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4
          DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre
          DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
          CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

That's right. It's the little Primary Phonics Red & Blue readers that are comparable to the Bob books. The ALS readers are the next step after Bob.

Tanya

Comment

I got the longer ALS readers because I wanted something with stories that I was willing to leave out as reading material once my dd got started reading. I have All About Reading readers to start on, but I want to keep those books nice for younger siblings, so they are kept on my high homeschool shelf. It has worked out well to have a reader set that can get a little worn and a different one that I can preserve for future little readers.

Comment

Working...
              X