Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diploma Program?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Diploma Program?

    Are there any plans, tentative or otherwise, for some sort of diploma program through Memoria Press? I was curious since everything is tested at Highlands Latin School. Documentation isn't absolutely necessary, but it could be nice to have some sort of "proof" that homeschoolers have completed the same rigorous coursework and schedule as students at a private Christian school.

    I know MP provides the online academy, so I just wondered if the next "step" was a full diploma program through Highlands, with a way for families to connect at the end of the year and so forth.

    Thanks!

    Jessica

    #2
    We have recently started the "Classical Latin School Association" as a way to accredit classical schools. Our next step is to provide the external "proof" for homeschoolers that you are asking about. It is in the works and will hopefully be ready by the 2013 school year.

    The way we see it now is that this type of diploma is only necessary for high school since grade schools are already accustomed to younger students transferring in.

    We will be using the online system as a way to administer testing.

    Stay tuned for further information. I am not sure if we will post it on www.memoriapress.com or on CLSA's website www.classicallatin.org.

    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your response.

      I will probably seem a bit obsessive, as my oldest is newly 3. I tend to get excited!

      Sometimes that external "proof" is more for doubting family members, and less for me.

      Looking forward to further developments! Who knows what will be in the works when my toddlers are actually in high school?

      Blessings,

      Jessica

      Comment


        #4
        Good News!

        I am excited about this too. I had plans to use Kolbe for high school because they offer transcripts but also would allow me to use some MP materials. My son is entering 4th so we have a while to think about this. If MP eventually offers some sort of transcript program then I would certainly be interested in hearing more about it as it progresses.
        Thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          I was also planning/expecting to switch over to Kolbe for just this reason. glad this is being looked into.

          Comment


            #6
            Another...

            I would also be very interested. I have a 5th grader and plan on using Kolbe. Glad it's being considered. Thank you!

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Diploma Program?

              Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
              We have recently started the "Classical Latin School Association" as a way to accredit classical schools. Our next step is to provide the external "proof" for homeschoolers that you are asking about. It is in the works and will hopefully be ready by the 2013 school year.

              The way we see it now is that this type of diploma is only necessary for high school since grade schools are already accustomed to younger students transferring in.

              We will be using the online system as a way to administer testing.

              Stay tuned for further information. I am not sure if we will post it on www.memoriapress.com or on CLSA's website www.classicallatin.org.

              Paul
              Just bumping this up since I couldn't find if this actually is in place or not? Considering MP for high school and the whole transcript idea would help us discern.

              Thank you for any info.
              PAX,
              Theresa

              ds -27-ICU Nurse
              ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
              dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
              dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

              "I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Diploma Program?

                Originally posted by Benedictine15 View Post
                Just bumping this up since I couldn't find if this actually is in place or not? Considering MP for high school and the whole transcript idea would help us discern.

                Thank you for any info.
                This is so funny. Just today I was thinking of emailing Mr. Piland and asking if there are plans for MP Online to become a full-time accredited school with transcripts. I am interested in that for 7th and 8th grade as well as high school. With Connections Academy, K12, and countless state virtual schools up and running, it would be great to have an MP full online school for those crucial grades.
                Christina

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Diploma Program?

                  Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
                  This is so funny. Just today I was thinking of emailing Mr. Piland and asking if there are plans for MP Online to become a full-time accredited school with transcripts. I am interested in that for 7th and 8th grade as well as high school. With Connections Academy, K12, and countless state virtual schools up and running, it would be great to have an MP full online school for those crucial grades.
                  I believe there might be something available if doing the recommended online classes with MP. For us, we could not swing it financially although if we could, we would! My daughter loves the FFL class and the teachers are wonderful. I was thinking more of a transcript service based on courses taken and quarterly work sent in. There are several *mentoring* type programs online (some Classical) that are available that will keep a transcript. You do have to follow a certain amount of recommendations based on the program. Some allow flexibility but to a certain degree.
                  PAX,
                  Theresa

                  ds -27-ICU Nurse
                  ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
                  dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
                  dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

                  "I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Diploma Program?

                    Yes, I am in line with your thinking as well. A service where you could have a couple compositions graded by a teacher per quarter would be nice, too, for the years where you can't take something online. I'm kind of meshing schools like MODG and K12 in my mind and thinking of different avenues that could serve many families. I know MP has much on their plate, but it is good for them to know what parents are interested in.
                    Christina

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Diploma Program?

                      Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
                      Yes, I am in line with your thinking as well. A service where you could have a couple compositions graded by a teacher per quarter would be nice, too, for the years where you can't take something online. I'm kind of meshing schools like MODG and K12 in my mind and thinking of different avenues that could serve many families. I know MP has much on their plate, but it is good for them to know what parents are interested in.
                      We were planning on doing something like this: http://www.staa-homeschool.com/index.php/hs-courses. They keep transcripts and will issue a diploma but you have to agree to a certain amount of recommendations in order to receive credits by them. The program looks great but...

                      ...the customer service and dedication of the administration, teachers, and families at Memoria Press are unparalleled IMHO. So there is always a *leaning* towards using their program...or the majority of it. Community is very important to me in my situation.
                      PAX,
                      Theresa

                      ds -27-ICU Nurse
                      ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
                      dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
                      dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

                      "I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Diploma Program?

                        Hello,

                        We definitely issue transcripts and official grade reports. We've provided these since the online academy started and are happy to provide you with all the documentation you'll ever need.

                        We are also currently accredited by the Classical Latin School Association. We do have plans for an accredited high school diploma drafted up, and nearly finished, but are waiting to release the official documentation until a few details are worked out. We really want to get it right before launching it, to make sure we're being consistent with our philosophy, mission, and commitment to excellence.

                        Also, we have quite a large number of students who have taken all or most of their classes through Memoria Press Online Academy. These students have gone on to apply to some very good colleges and universities, using our grade reports, transcripts, and syllabi samples. You can see a list of colleges and universities our students were accepted to here on our FAQ page.

                        Thank you for the questions! Hope this is helpful!

                        Scott Piland
                        Director
                        Memoria Press Online Academy
                        onlineacademy@memoriapress.com

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Diploma Program?

                          Originally posted by spiland View Post
                          Hello,

                          We definitely issue transcripts and official grade reports. We've provided these since the online academy started and are happy to provide you with all the documentation you'll ever need.

                          We are also currently accredited by the Classical Latin School Association. We do have plans for an accredited high school diploma drafted up, and nearly finished, but are waiting to release the official documentation until a few details are worked out. We really want to get it right before launching it, to make sure we're being consistent with our philosophy, mission, and commitment to excellence.

                          Also, we have quite a large number of students who have taken all or most of their classes through Memoria Press Online Academy. These students have gone on to apply to some very good colleges and universities, using our grade reports, transcripts, and syllabi samples. You can see a list of colleges and universities our students were accepted to here on our FAQ page.

                          Thank you for the questions! Hope this is helpful!

                          Scott Piland
                          Director
                          Memoria Press Online Academy
                          onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
                          Thank you, as always, Mr. Piland!

                          Are you referring to a diploma or transcript program offered for a student who is not enrolled in all the online classes...even those students who, due to financial reasons, cannot enroll in any classes?

                          I have no doubt there is no issue with your students being accepted into excellent colleges and universities
                          PAX,
                          Theresa

                          ds -27-ICU Nurse
                          ds -24-Grad school: DeSales U. Physician's Assistant Program
                          dd -21-Working and taking online courses for vet tech
                          dd -12-7M along with some MPOA classes

                          "I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles. Also, of endless books." -C.S. Lewis

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Diploma Program?

                            Wow. I can't believe our first target for the release of a homeschool program under the Classical Latin School Association was the school year of 2013. Ouch. I do apologize that it has taken us a long time.

                            However, we do still have plans to offer that but we are making sure our school program is solid before moving on to a homeschool program. As the plans stand now it will be in the vein of what you are looking for--it will give support for the Classical Core Curriculum but you as the parent would be doing the teaching. I believe the MP Online Academy's diploma program will be released before ours. I hesitate to give a date since my last estimate was way off!

                            The difference between the two would be the Online Academy would give you all the support a school would--live teaching, grading, etc, whereas the CLSA program would be more about quarterly or semester reports and you would get our stamp of approval (more of an umbrella program).

                            So I ask for your patience once again. We are working as quickly as we can and this is something we definitely want to do.

                            Paul
                            Paul Schaeffer
                            --
                            Academy Director
                            Memoria Press Online Academy

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Diploma Program?

                              Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                              Wow. I can't believe our first target for the release of a homeschool program under the Classical Latin School Association was the school year of 2013. Ouch. I do apologize that it has taken us a long time.

                              However, we do still have plans to offer that but we are making sure our school program is solid before moving on to a homeschool program. As the plans stand now it will be in the vein of what you are looking for--it will give support for the Classical Core Curriculum but you as the parent would be doing the teaching. I believe the MP Online Academy's diploma program will be released before ours. I hesitate to give a date since my last estimate was way off!

                              The difference between the two would be the Online Academy would give you all the support a school would--live teaching, grading, etc, whereas the CLSA program would be more about quarterly or semester reports and you would get our stamp of approval (more of an umbrella program).

                              So I ask for your patience once again. We are working as quickly as we can and this is something we definitely want to do.

                              Paul
                              That is hopeful!! My oldest is only 6, so hopefully we have some time, and you'll have even had it tested before we get to high school! :-)
                              Christine

                              (2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                              DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

                              Previous Years
                              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X