More questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More questions!

Here are my new questions: In Latina I we learned the ablative case was "in, by, with, from." Latina II is only teaching by, with, from. Is there a reason for this?
    Also, help me understand the difference in pronunciation between ero, eras, erat, and erro, erras, errat. I thought there would be more "rolling" of the "r," but the CD doesn't seem to do this. I'm sorry to ack all these questions, but I know my 6th and 8th grader will think of them also! Thanks! Leah

Why 'in' not always included in descriptions of ablative case

In Latina I we learned the ablative case was "in, by, with, from." Latina II is only teaching by, with, from. Is there a reason for this?

'in' is sometimes included in descriptions of the ablative case and sometimes not. It looks like we followed one convention in one book and another convention in the other.

The reason for the difference is that 'in' is usually expressed to a much greater extent when it is used than are the prepositions 'by', 'with', and 'from'.

Martin Cothran

Comment

Rolling 'R's

Also, help me understand the difference in pronunciation between ero, eras, erat, and erro, erras, errat. I thought there would be more "rolling" of the "r," but the CD doesn't seem to do this.

Unlike, say, Spanish, 'r's usually aren't rolled in Latin pronunciation.

Martin Cothran

Comment

Working...
      X