Supplemental Readers for K and 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplemental Readers for K and 1st

I have two boys who will be doing the K package and the 1st grade package...There is a strong possibility that I may have to use one set of readers for both boys, and I want to know which are best to go with...Should I split them in half and get half the 1st grade books and half the K books, or get just the K books or just the 1st grade books?
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
    DS -15 (7/06)

Hello.

The readers for kindergarten are very simple and assume that your child is learning to read. The American Language Series readers focus on the following areas:

Fun in the Sun - simple short vowels
    Scamp & Tramp - Consonant Clusters
    Soft & White - Silent E

The 1st grade readers begin with Little Bear and Little Bear's Visit, I Can Read books. They get harder from there. You know that you will eventually have to have the 1st grade readers, but you may not need all of the kindergarten readers. If your children have mastered short vowels, you could get the 1st grade lit. and supplement it with a couple of the ALS readers to use until they are ready for Little Bear.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

I'm sorry, I meant the supplemental read alouds, the extra set of books to be read once a week...They are roughly $300 a set and there is one for K and one for 1st...

I will get the readers for both, just can only get one set of additional read alouds...
      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
      DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
      DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
      DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Those are optional. You can grab a couple from the library each week. I would pick which one sounded best or looked most interesting to my kids.
        The Older Boys:
        J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
        S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
        D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
        F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Sorry. I misunderstood. I agree with Enigma - go with the ones that look more fun to you. Your older student might enjoy the 1st grade ones better than K, but not necessarily.

Tanya

Comment

I just did this with my 2 sons in K and my oldest in 2nd. We got what we could from both sets and followed that grades science/social studies for that week. It worked out so well we are doing the same for grades 1 and 3. If you get the lesson plan guides first you can base it off of what activities you like best.
            Melissa

Comment

Working...
            X