Artner Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artner Guide

I have a question about the Artner Guide. Currently, I own Christine Miller's All Through The Ages. I am wondering what the Artner Guide provides that ATTA doesn't. Is there a way to see a sample page/lesson of the Artner Guide? Or can someone explain to me how (or if) it differs from ATTA?

Thanks so much,
    Robin

Pretty please? )

Comment

Artner Guide

Robin:

I am not familiar with the contents of Christine Miller's All Through the Ages, but will give you an overview of what is contained in the Artner Guide.

The history of the United States is divided chronologically into 8 sections. Each section lists people/places to know and key ideas for memory work. The dates for important events are also included.

Books that are recommended for the particular section are also listed and are broken down into reading levels. Highly recommended reads are also noted.

Pages to read from Scholastic's Everything You Need to Know about US History Homework are also listed. Hirsch's Core Knowledge series is also referenced in the Guide.

Included are instructions for getting the most from the Guide. The approach could well be used for the study of any era of history.

I thought the price for the Artner Guide was a bargain. The Scholastic book is also inexpensive. I bought a copy of the Scholastic book for each of my students (that will last them several years of study).

I unbound the Artner Guide and placed it in a notebook with page protectors. That way I can easily mark up the page with what we have covered, check off items as I orally quiz my students or write down thoughts or book titles we also found to be worthwhile. I have used CLP's Child's Story of America as an addition for our studies instead of the Core Knowledge series.

~Becky

Comment

Becky,

Thanks for your response. It looks like the main difference is the memory work and the key topics to focus on. Christine Miller's book is basically a book list, albeit a very good one with timelines and key dates noted. However, her book doesn't get specific about what to focus on and how.

I have CLP's Story of America, and was going to use it for my spine as well. I'm glad to know this idea works!

I will say that I have heard that the Artner guide references a lot of op books, and since I have a more-than-adequate reference list for good books to read (in the Miller guide), I didn't want to invest in Artner if it didn't offer substantially more than just a book list. Sounds like maybe it does. I still wish there was a way to see samples, though.

Thanks so much for your response, Becky!

Robin

Comment

Robin,

You can see a sample of this at www.christianbook.com
          Do a search for this and then you can click on the sample. It show 3 pages.

Sue in MN

Comment

Working...
          X