Recitation Article in _Classical Teacher_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recitation Article in _Classical Teacher_

I have received my copy of _The Classical Teacher_ and have a question about the article on how to conduct a recitation.

I see that the recitation model given is appropriate for LC students. Are all the suggestions in the model taught in LC, particularly the English Grammar: "...Do meanings for all 6 tenses in English. Recite pronouns, adjectives, and more verb forms if you know them. List the 5 cases. What is the possessive case? The to/for case? The direct object case? The subject case? What are the two ways to show possession in English? What are the 4 attributes of nouns? What are the three genders? What are the 6 attributes of verbs? And so on."

Honestly, the recitation model intimidates me a little bit because I don't know any of the latin, and I don't know some of the English grammar. If we were to purchase LC, would these things in the recitation model be easy to extract from LC lessons?

I will be starting Prima Latina with my 3rd grade daughter next year and am interested in developing a similar rigorous recitation model for her. Any direction or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you so much for your products and your wonderful articles in your catalog. I appreciate your hard work.

RMarie

No worries

RMarie,

From my own experience I can say that you'll have no problem understanding how to do the recitation, once you start using Prima/Latina. The teacher's manuals of Prima/Latina explain everything as you go.

Maria

Comment

Recitation

Prima Latina is designed to teach you the basic Latin and English grammar you need to successfully do the recitations. I would not worry at all.

Brian
      Memoria Press
      Brian Lowe
      www.MemoriaPress.com

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses. I'll not worry about this yet.

I'm still curious, though, if all the things you recommend reciting in LC I (re: English grammar) are actually *taught* in LC I or if I will need to acquire a separate resource. For example:

What are the four attributes of nouns?
        What are the six attributes of verbs?

Are these things taught in LCI, or is the article in _Classical Teacher_ recommending that the parent add these things on their own because they are good to recite?

I'm sorry if my question isn't clear. I'm trying to figure out if the suggested model for recitations in the article is based wholly on the info taught in LC, or on a combinatin of LC material and english grammar taught outside LC. Does that make sense?

Thanks again,
        RMarie

Comment

RMarie,

What are the four attributes of nouns?
          What are the six attributes of verbs?
          The attributes of nouns and verbs are specifically taught in the Latin programs.

Although the teacher's manuals recommend having a good English grammar manual nearby to help with the grammar, all English grammar that is necessary to understand the Latin is TAUGHT in Prima/Latina. I know this because I myself knew hardly any English grammar when I started Latina and didn't use an English grammar manual, but I didn't have any problem at all.

Hope this helps,
          Maria

Comment

Thanks, Maria. That helps a lot. I'm looking forward to using the program!

RMarie

Comment

Working...
            X