Pacing of LC1 for co-op class:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacing of LC1 for co-op class:

I would like some advice on the pacing of LC1 for a co-op class. This will be a class of students grades 5 and up. We have three sessions. The first session is 10 weeks and the second two are 9 weeks. (Therefore I will only be able to give 25 weeks of homework.) I would like to cover the entire year so I'll need to "double up" some weeks. Which weeks would you recommend? Should I schedule a review week on top of a regular lesson week?

Thanks for any advice.
    Holly in N NV

I successfully used LCI in a co-op class last year. I had to double up on several weeks because of snow days. The review lessons would be the ones to double up on since they do not present new material. Here's one way to do it: Combine the review lesson with the following lesson, not the previous one. In other words, in class 6, teach lesson VI and ask them to study review lesson I (which comes after lesson V) as well as Lesson VI. Then in class 7, give test I, and in class 8, give quiz VI and VII. Otherwise, they won't have much time to master the lesson which comes just before the review lesson and test. I've also sent tests home to be mailed back to me when I didn't have enough class time.
    As far as lessons themselves, you could combine Lessons I and II, since Lesson I is so short. However, you'd lose the advantage of starting out slowly and building confidence in the students. In Lessons XX, XXIII, XXIV, and XXV, five of the ten vocabulary words are review words, so there's a bit less to learn. I've also assigned 2 lessons when we had a 2-week break between classes due to a holiday. HTH!
    Julia

Comment

I like the idea of assigning the review along with the following...

lesson rather than the previous. That makes far more sense than what I had in mind. I'd rather give more time to study for the test.

Thanks for the very helpful idea.
      Holly in N NV

Comment

Working...
      X