Martin's book list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin's book list

When I talked to Martin Cothran at our homeschool conference last summer, he said they do a few lit guides per grade as they want the kids to really spend time in those books... But also that they spend time reading a lot of other books too. It's just that they don't expect them to go that into every book they read. He recommended to contact MP and ask for "Martin's book list". Can you load the list here so that we can all benefit from his recommendations? If the file is too large, can you please email it to me?

Thank you.

Genevieve

Me too!

I would love to see his reading list. I read on a forum post somewhere that you could call MP and get it, but didn't want to bother anyone.
    If you email it out, I am at [email protected]
    Blessings,
    Jude
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

I am posting Martin's book list here. Enjoy!

Paul
      Attached Files
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you!
        2020/2021
        9th grade, 5A, 2nd, K

Comment

That is just fantastic! Are many of these the same as the ones on the HLS website under summer reading?
          The Older Boys:
          J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
          S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16:
          2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
          2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

I just saw this mentioned on an older thread on the WTM forums. How nice to come here and see it uploaded! Thanks!

Comment

Both lists include many of the same books, but Martin's has many more than HLS's summer reading. I would dare to say as well that HLS's list has some books that Martin's doesn't have.
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                Both lists include many of the same books, but Martin's has many more than HLS's summer reading. I would dare to say as well that HLS's list has some books that Martin's doesn't have.
                Paul,

I'm listening to Martin's talk from GHC Cincy (and putting it over the bluetooth speaker for Brett to hear, too), and going over his list again. Is there a rough layout of grade level? I've got twin boys (7) who LOVE read-a-louds, and I'd love to pick some specifically for them, instead of always following the list of read alouds for their older sister.

Looking forward to your input.
                Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Dianna,

If you look at the PDF, Column D is the minimum read aloud age and Column E is the maximum read aloud age suggested. The PDF I posted in 2012 was organized by the minimum age that the student should be able to read the books alone. I am reattaching it here organized by minimum age you can read aloud to them.

Does this help?

Paul
                  Attached Files
                  Paul Schaeffer
                  --
                  Academy Director

Comment

Another example of the generosity of this company and forum. What an amazing resource!!!
                    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
                    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
                    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Whoa! That is awesome! Amazing list so glad it got requested!

Love that Mrs. Piggle Wiggle made the cut...

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                      DS, 17
                      DD, 15
                      DD, 13
                      DD, 11
                      DD, 9
                      DD, 7
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                        Dianna,

If you look at the PDF, Column D is the minimum read aloud age and Column E is the maximum read aloud age suggested. The PDF I posted in 2012 was organized by the minimum age that the student should be able to read the books alone. I am reattaching it here organized by minimum age you can read aloud to them.

Does this help?

Paul

Oh, my word.

It's obvious I need more coffee.

I swear, I read those columns as 'Minutes to read aloud'. I was scratching my head as to how in the world anyone could read that fast.

THANK you for explaining things to me.
                        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                          Oh, my word.

It's obvious I need more coffee.

I swear, I read those columns as 'Minutes to read aloud'. I was scratching my head as to how in the world anyone could read that fast.

THANK you for explaining things to me.
                          This is how I read the columns too! Clearly it's too late for my brain to be making any sense.
                          Susan

2021-2022
                          A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
                          C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
                          G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

I have to share a moment from my early morning today. I was looking over Martin's list when my 4th grade daughter wandered into the family room this morning. She plops herself down next to me and asks what I am doing. I said I was looking at a book list. Here is our basic conversation, "A booklist? What's that." "Well, it's a list of really good books that someone at MP has compiled for us to use as a guide for choosing books for you to read or to be read to you." Daughter then says, "You mean that ALL of those books are good for me to read. I could read them any time I wanted." I say, "Yes, that's right." Daughter, "If I want these books you could check them out at the library." I respond, "Yes." Daughter then says, "WHOA!!! Can I have a copy of that list?"

I printed her the middle six pages (she was no longer interested in Goodnight Moon). She took the list to her room. It is displayed on her cork board with a highlighter all ready to mark them off as she reads them. She has requested her first book, "Heroes of Greece and Troy."Why didn't I think to give my kids these book lists? I am always the keeper of the list. You can rest assured that my second grader will get his list before the day is over. (He might not be as excited as his bookworm sister, but I can hope.)

Thank you, Martin!!!
                            Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
                            ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Melisa,
                              YES! Book list copies for everyone! Great idea.
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                              DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                              DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                              DD 7th • HLN & Home
                              DS 4th • HLN & Home
                              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
                              Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X