Stuck in Second Form Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in Second Form Latin

My name is Josie, I'm 13 and am having problems with translating. I know a lot of the words in the Latin dictionary for how far I am (not all, but a lot) and just don't know the endings to put on. It's not as much a problem of "I don't know any endings" but that "do I put on the genetive ending because it's possesive? Or should I put on an ablative ending because it goes along with an ablative preposition? Or, should I put on an accusative for direct object?" I also can't find some of the things I want in my second form Latin text. For example, the little diagram that shows which case means what, or the thing that shows what the amo amare amavi amatus means. I don't have all my stuff memorized, but I think that the problem is more of "I'm not sure how to do this" because the words cannot be looked up in my book.

Thanks!
    Josie

I am Josie's mom. We have loved First and Second Form Latins, and I am hoping someone here can help her get over this hump. Thank you!
    Bridget Riedell

Hi my name is Savannah and I am doing Second Form Latin this year. I have found it very useful to have all the forms and cases memorized. Also I have used my First Form Latin Text to help as well. You can find the diagram of cases there. I wonder if you have the DVD's. They are very helpful. I hope this helps you.
    Jenchick

Comment

I'm happy to help! I just need a little more information. Could you tell me what lesson you are at in Second Form? Also, you mentioned not being sure what case ending to use. Could you give me an example of a sentence you're having trouble with from the book? You gave the correct use of all three cases you mentioned (genitive, ablative, accusative) so it sound like you know how top use your cases pretty well! I don't want to write much more until I know a little bit more. I don't want to give you any specific advice that won't actually help you. As for some general advice, I second Savannah in that really making sure you've memorized all the forms and cases is really important. Also, you can never review Latin too much, so go back to First Form or an earlier lesson in Second Form and spend some time reviewing if you need to.

If you think it might be easier, you can call us and we can discuss details over the phone if you'd rather not have this conversation on a forum. Our number is 1-877-862-1097.
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks, Susannah! Yes, I should probably memorize completely all of my forms, I know the 1st dec. f., 2nd dec. m. & n., pretty well, but all the ones after that are kind of shaky. Some of them I do know, but can't rattle off. Thank you for trying to help!

Michael, thanks for responding. I am stuck at the end of Lesson 11. One example of a sentence I don't completely understand is "He saw the cows through the window of the house." Well, I put "Vaccae per fenestram domum videt." Vaccae-plural nom, per was right, I think, fenestram-singular accusative for d. o., domum-sing. acc., and videt was a guess. That should be close to correct. The answer was, "Vaccas per domús fenestram vidit. So, I get most of the words right, just don't know what endings are supposed to go down. If there is an accusative preposition in the sentence, then is one of the endings on a word accusative because of that? The same with an ablative prep. If so, which word would have that ending? Sometimes I just am too lazy to make sure of what I'm translating, so most of the right words come out, but in the wrong order, or with the wrong adjective to the noun, etc. My mom can't help me without her book, because she doesn't study Latin too and I know more than she does most of the time. Hope this helps you to help me!
        Thanks, guys!
        Josie

Comment

Josie,

That was very helpful and exactly what I needed to know. I talked with one of our Latin teachers and we have some ideas that we think would really help. We'd like to discuss them, so I think it would be best if you could have your mom call us. Our numbers are:

1-877-862-1097 [toll free]
          1-502-966-9115 [international or local call]
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
          X