Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about classical studies

Hello everyone.

I'm a new member here and new to homeschooling also. I have a question on where to start. My daughter is currently in 5th and we want to implement the classical education beginning in 6th grade. Okay, so here goes: Do I still need to start with the Greek Myths studies, then FMR, and so on. Or, since my daughter is older, would it be okay to start the classical studies in chronological order. ( I did read the article on why you don't suggest that). And if so, should I start with Famous Men of Greece (along with Greek Myths as a separate read) or could I start with The Book of Ancient Greece--or is that more of a high school level? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. I'm also entertaining the idea of starting with The Book of the Ancient World so it will go along with Christian Studies I, then moving on to Greece, Rome, and so on. I really do like the idea of going in chronological order and I don't think my daughter would be overwhelmed.

I just don't want her to be too far behind once she's in 9th grade since we are starting so late. I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Thank you and God Bless!

Hello.

Your daughter still has plenty of time, so I wouldn't worry about getting it done. Since you'd like to do it chronologically, you could start with Famous Men of Greece. I think that would be a more interesting fit for her age than The Ancient World. We actually do The Ancient World as Christian Studies after our students have completed Christian Studies I-IV. It takes you through the history of the Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Hebrews, etc.

If you start with Greece, you will be preparing your daughter to read Homer. She could read D'Aulaires' Greek Myths in the summer. It would make for fun summer reading. Then, FMG begins with a review of mythology, so this would reinforce it for her. She should also read The Trojan War so that she has a good handle on the story lines behind the Iliad and Odyssey. All of this fits together very well. Then, for 7th grade, she could either go ahead and read Homer or move on to Roman history. At that point, I'd have her read Mills' Book of the Ancient Romans, using Famous Men of Rome as supplemental reading (or summer reading after 6th grade). Eighth grade would be the Middle Ages (and we'll have the Mills book ready by then). Then, in high school, she will be ready for Homer in 9th, Virgil in 10th, and Dante in 11th, putting all that history work to good use. Your other option would be to do Greece in 6th, Homer in 7th, Roman history in 8th, Virgil's Aeneid in 9th, Medieval history in 10th, and The Divine Comedy in 11th. This would give you a year of history followed by a year of reading an author of that civilization.

Either option would let you study history chronologically, and your idea of studying the ancient world first makes it a perfect world; I just think for 6th grade, a Famous Men book would be more interesting.

Let me know what you think!

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Thank you so much for the input Tanya. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'll definitely start with the Greek Myths over the summer and then move into FMG for the school year. After that, I'm not sure if I'll go straight into Homer or move on to FMR. I guess I've got a little time to consider what would be better for her.

Thank you again!
      Catherine

Comment

Working...
      X