Desert Island Literature - Early Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importance of literature

I fully agree that children need to be exposed to countless fairy tales, myths and legends.... over and over and over again.

In addition, I would say that children need to be exposed to all forms of quality imaginative writing. When Lewis, Tolkien, and Chesterton were alive there wasn't the wealth of memoirs, mysteries, etc written for young children that there is today. They may have done more to advocate for such writing in general had they been alive. They certainly showed an interest in developing the field of literature for young people.

If anyone has not read Gladys Hunt's Honey for a Child's Heart, I highly recommend it. Her book recommendations for young people are wonderful. Children can't be read to enough!

I also recommend Tolkien's short story Leaf by Niggle to anyone who has not read it. It highlights the true value of the creative process. It helps to show why art is important.

Comment

Bump

I am bumping this old thread to reply to the inquiry about Kindergarten novels.
      Blessings,
      Jude

Dd 16, Ds 13, Ds 10, Ds 8, Dd 6, Ds 4, Dd 14 mos.
      DD24
      DS21
      DS18
      DS16
      DD14
      DS11
      DD9

Comment

other favorite read-alouds for k-2nd

I also love reading "Winnie-the-Pooh" by A.A. Milne, with illustrations by Ernest Shepard (no Disney versions or illustrations allowed!) Of course, I would want to add "The House at Pooh Corner" and Milne's poetry: "When We Were Very Young" and "Now We Are Six"

I like Bread And Jam for Frances (and all the other Frances books!)

And what about Pagoo for that desert island nature study?
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
        ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
        dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Working...
        X