Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Latin Exam

Hi Tanya,
    This year my daughter has been using Second Form Latin. We are scheduled to participate in The National Latin Exam (Intro to Latin level) coming up here in March.
    Starting in Fall of 2012, she will move up to Third Form Latin.
    My question for you is whether or not the students at HLS move up in testing level each year (assuming they have tested well). In other words, do you test your Third Form students in the Latin l level, Forth Form...Latin ll level and so forth???

Thank you!

Jennifer
    Jenchick

Hi, Jennifer.

We do move up in level each year if our students do well on a test. We actually have to look at each student individually to see which exam best suits them. It is very time-consuming. We base our decisions on how well they did the year before and how much time they have left to earn 4 gold medals. If we have students who did fairly well but didn't earn a gold medal the year before, we may let them take the same exam again if they have plenty of years left to earn 4 golds. If they are new Latin students but high school aged, we may skip the intro. exam so that they have the opportunity for 4 medals, but if they are younger, we have plenty of time to do a level more than once. It can be quite complicated when dealing with a group!

The goal is for students to have the time to take Levels 1-4, so you need at least 4 years. If you have more than that, you can afford to retake a level, hopefully to earn a gold. Or, if you have a student like my children, there was no way they were going to earn 4 golds, so I was happy to let them retake a level in the hopes of earning at least a silver so that they felt good about their performance.

Hopefully, your student will do well on the Intro. and be ready to move up to Level I next year. The Intro. is a great way to introduce this exam, and if our students do well on it, we go ahead and let them advance to Level I. We have one student who earned 4 golds by the time she was a sophomore, so it can be done at a young age!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya,
      Thank you for the detailed response. This will be a very helpful guide as we progress each year.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer
      Jenchick

Comment

Working...
      X