Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q. about Classical Studies. Can I use it exclusively for history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q. about Classical Studies. Can I use it exclusively for history?

Hi,

I am considering use of this program for my 5th gr. dd. this year.
    Does it only cover OT, Greece, and Rome? Are any other ancient civilizations mentioned? (i.e., Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc.) Would I have to supplement this program in order to study ancient civilizations?
    thanks!
    Lisa

I'm going to use the three separate new coursess, Greek Myths followed by FMOR, and

I'm going to use the three separate new coursess, Greek Myths followed by FMOR, and also the bible studies starting with the 3rd grade and just moving through them over a year and a hlf to two years

What does the rest of your student's schedule look like?

Comment

This would not be a complete *history* program for a 5th grader. If you're talking about the "old" (one volume) Intro to Classical Studies program, it's simply a schedule for studying three books: D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths, Famous Men of Rome, and the Golden Children's Bible. There is no additional history covered, so if you're hoping for a complete ancient world history course (with kings and battles and dates, etc) you will need to add to this. I really *like* Intro, but I fear it's not (at least on its own) what you're looking for. ... Personally, I would do Intro as one subject, and do "history" as a separate (but complementary) subject using another spine (such as the Story of the World, Oxford First Ancient History, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia or other).

Intro covers Greek myths and chronological biographies of Roman leaders. The only other civilizations covered are those mentioned in the Bible. ... (So, technically you'll cover a little of Mesopotamian history, but with a 5th grader, I'd want more than just what's in a Bible story book.)

But I don't want to sell Intro short either. It's a rich, wonderful program and I highly recommend it. I simply wouldn't substitute it for a history program for a 5th grader. (Although some might make an informed decision simply not to do "history" at this stage... Or to do it in a more informal way, simply by supplying books for the child to read outside of school time, in addition to the Intro materials.)

Comment

Thanks for your help!

That answers my Q.

Comment

Working...
        X