Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Grammar I

Hello Tanya

Is it possible to see a Table of Contents for this book? I see that the sample relates to Farmer Boy. I was wondering if it progresses through the 3rd grade literature set.

I gather that this book is currently not scheduled in the 3rd grade package. Are the plans to replace the R&S grammar books with MP's own grammar. Will there be other grammar books to follow? I know there was discussion about using this book with the literature sets and whether there is any overlap or redundancy but I can't find the post or remember your recommendations. How does this book fit in the curriculum plan? How do you see it being used?

I also have a question with regards to spelling. Are you familiar with Susan Wise Bauer's recommendation: Spelling Workout? If so, do you prefer R&S for the homeschool and if so why?

Thanks

Julia

Julia,
    If you don't mind I am going to jump in here for Tanya--that way she has more time to develop the books you all want!

I would post a table of contents, but all it says is "Lesson 1, Lesson 2" etc.

However, I think the information you are looking for is the progression of the book--it covers parts of speech, capitalization rules, and punctuation.

It follows the same novels as the Literature guides: Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, and the Moffats. It also uses "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" for the weeks that would correspond to Christmas on a traditional school cycle.

We came up with this book because we thought R&S grammar was an overkill for students that are already studying Latin. Consequently we have changed our curriculum package for 3rd grade to include the English Grammar for the Grammar Stage and we have removed R&S English. Our website will soon be updated accordingly.

However, if a student is not doing Latin, this English grammar will NOT be enough.

We recommend that when you use our literature guides, the teacher walks through the questions with the students orally, and at the end writes down the final response for the comprehension question for the students to copy. It is an exercise of understanding more than an exercise in proper grammar. In this new English grammar, each lesson has one full page of grammar and one page that corresponds to the literature book (though all the material in the English grammar is NEW--not a repeat of the lit guide). That second page is for the student to complete himself as a writing exercise, as Susan Wise Bauer recommends. If it becomes apparent to you that the students are overloaded with literature comprehension questions, you can just do the literature guide comprehension questions orally and let them do the questions in the English grammar on their own.

We are working towards developing a series of these English books for the later grades that would phase out R&S English.

As for spelling, practically everything Susan Wise Bauer recommends is good, so while I am not familiar with her recommendation, it seems to be personal preference.

Hope this helps,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you

Paul,

Thank you for your timely and detailed reply. It certainly did help.

Kind regards

Julia

Comment

Are there still 3rd grade lesson plans availble using R&S 3 for those of us who have that and not Memoria's new grammar?

Comment

Yes. If you buy our curriculum guide for 3rd grade, I can send you the lesson plans for the R&S grammar. That's no problem at all. You just need to request it when you place your order.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

3rd Grade Grammer

Am I understanding correctly that the 3rd grade Curriculum guide is using MP grammar? Is this book available separately or do you have to buy the whole 3rd grade package in order to get the grammar? I also saw somewhere there was a question that had to do with poetry. Is there a poetry book for 3rd grade and is it also available for purchase separately?
            Thanks!

Comment

Yes, the 3rd grade curriculum guide now uses the MP English Grammar for the Grammar Stage instead of R&S English and the MP Poetry for the Grammar Stage.

Both the English grammar book and the poetry book are available separately.
              http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_writing.html
              http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/3rd-Grade-Curriculum-individual.html (At the bottom of the page)

Paul
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
              X