Which Math after 6th grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Math after 6th grade?

The curriculum packages go through 6th grade and use Rod and Staff. What is recommended to use after that and later for Algebra?

I just found this board, so sorry if it has been asked before. Thanks!

Math After 6th Grade Rod & Staff

Hi. I am not making any recommendations but I know that Singapore Mathematics is a great curriculum to look into.

Comment

My understanding is R&S continues through 8th at which point, the books switch to the Lial/Miller books. These are the books Highland Latin School uses as per the link below. It is at the bottom of the last paragraph.

http://www.thelatinschool.org/Mathematics.html
      Enigma
      Last edited by Enigma; 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM.
      The Older Boys:
      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
      M- 9/16:
      2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
      2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

That link is what I was looking for. Thanks. My dds have used R&S from the beginning, but we are nearing the end. I was wondering what MP would use after that.

Thanks!

Comment

Glad I could help. I do wonder if those are the same books that will be incorporated into the grade level packages.

I am hearing scary things about kids not ready for 'modern' standards Algebra, not able to move into grade level math when applying to private schools or failing when taking placement/standardized testing after completing levels of R&S. It has been suggested to me that I move mine to something like Christian Light Education Math instead.

I did see on www.rodandstaffbooks.com that they are issuing a 3rd edition that seems more up-to-date as far as Math Standards go. (i.e. place value is explained without the animals, new topics, no duckies etc.) They only have First grade done and I have no idea how long it will be until other grades are released.
          There is a link to a page explaining the differences in the new edition.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-131--/?list=Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series

Anyone have more information or can explain better the rational behind R&S? I want a traditional program that is age appropriate, but I have math/science guys. I do not want them to be behind later. Does that make sense? I am just so happy MP/HLS does not use Saxon!
          Enigma
          Last edited by Enigma; 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM.
          The Older Boys:
          J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
          S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16:
          2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
          2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

Hello.

For pre-algebra this year, instead of R&S 7th grade, we are using a book from the College of the Redwoods. The ISBN is 58000453442047, and it can be purchased for $20. I don't know yet how the teachers like it, but I thought I'd throw it out there. This is what they chose after looking at lots of textbooks. I suppose we'll know by spring if it is doing what we want it to.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X