Another NAC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another NAC question

I noticed the books are not organized by stroke and ask the child to trace cursive words using letters not taught yet. Is this a beta version or final version that I am seeing?
    Enigma
    Last edited by Enigma; 10-20-2011, 05:15 PM.
    The Older Boys:
    J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
    S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
    G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
    D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
    F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
    M- 9/16:
    2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
    2022: MP K and BJU Math K

You have some excellent questions. The New American Cursive Workbook One is designed to be in alphabetical order. The child can understand an alphabetical order easier than stroke order and can see their progress with each lesson. We also include the capital with each letter. This gives an opportunity for more practice on the capitals and allows the student to focus and master each letter.

Yes, in the beginning of NAC Workbook One there are a few letters the students are asked to trace that they have not yet mastered. However, tracing the words introduces them to the concept of how cursive letters are connected. It is not a big stretch for the student to make the new cursive forms since he/she already knows the three basic forms for cursive writing; the dot, straight line and the curve. You will be amazed how many students will jump ahead in the book to learn how to write their name. We greatly underestimate the ability of young students to write cursive letters and words at a very young age.

This is the way we designed the book and it has worked extremely well for the students. However if you are more comfortable teaching by stroke you can certainly skip around in the book and do so. As an example of how well a seven year old can learn cursive with the method in NAC Workbook One you may want to check out the World Handwriting Contest winner for her age group Grazia Ferraro. http://www.newamericancursive.com/handwriting-samples.htm

Sincerely,

Iris Hatfield

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to address my questions. I think my biggest cursive concern is my boys have discovered on their own how to write their names and just about any word in cursive but it is more Italic style meaning no letter forms change, there are no spaces between the link ups like in Getty-Dubay, all letters connect, no slanting, and no loops at all. (I am sorry; this is so hard to explain without being able to see it firsthand.) I have great concern over making them switch from a form they have developed naturally to one that is completely different.
      The Older Boys:
      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
      M- 9/16:
      2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
      2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

Working...
      X