Astronomy in January?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astronomy in January?

I got my copy of your Astronomy guide and I'm very excited! The only (potential) problem is that we start our school year in January. The guide starts with a quick intro and then introduces the summer-fall constellations. Since we start in winter, should we just skip the summer-fall constellations and start with the winter constellations, or will we mess up the flow of the course?

I am willing to rearrange the book to take full advantage of the course, just let me know my best course of action.

Thanks!
    Jill, mom to
    ds10 (MP 5th), ds8 (MP 3rd), dd6, ds5

Hello.

You can really start the astronomy course anywhere due to the nature of the study. But most of our students live in the city, so they can't see the constellations anyway! It is definitely a plus to be able to look at the actual stars, but learning the constellations out of season just means that when fall rolls around again, you will have an opportunity to reinforce what your students have learned on paper in the winter. So either way will work.

I'm glad you like the looks of this program, and I hope all goes well with your studies!

Tanya Charlton

Comment

I am in the same situation as this old thread. I am starting both the Greek Myths and Astronomy this month. My plan was to do the introduction in astronomy and then the witner constellations.

But, I was wondering how closely tied the astronomy and myths were and if I would be missing out by not doing it in order of the astronomy book? Our plan is to do stargazing with a new telescope alongside the astronomy which is why I was going to re-order the astronomy book

Comment

Hello.

Astronomy and D'Aulaires are totally independent of each other, so you won't have any trouble at all!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Great, thanks Tanya, looking forward to it!

Comment

We just finished up this course, going from Jan to Dec. We decided to start at the beginning once I realized that a lot of the review work in the book is cumulative, and it would take some work to rearrange. That being said, we enjoyed the course and enjoy checking out the sky on clear nights!
            Jill, mom to
            ds10 (MP 5th), ds8 (MP 3rd), dd6, ds5

Comment

Working...
            X