Samples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samples?

Hey, Tanya. I'm checking MP every day for the Preschool program, Grammar book samples, and third grade read aloud collection. Any estimations on when these will hit the websites? I'm as bad as a kid waiting for the next toy in their collection to come out....lol.

Shaina

Hello.

The preschool program is ready, but we still need to do a thorough proofing of the curriculum guide, so I haven't officially released it. If you want to take it as it is now, knowing it has not been proofed at all, I do have all the books in stock. You would need the curriculum guide, Alphabet Book, Numbers Book (which is only half completed), Prayers for Children, Tomie dePaola's Mother Goose, Big Thoughts for Little People, and Hailstones and Halibut Bones. All of that is $140. The read-aloud set is $340. The literature section of Jr. Kindergarten is a large part of this program; it isn't just supplemental, so it would be hard to do it without these books. But most of them are classic, so you could probably get them at the library. I'll attach the list of them here.

If you decide to get this program now, you will have to order by phone because it won't appear for sale on our website until we have proofed it.

Regards,

Tanya
    Attached Files

Comment

Third grade grammar & composition will not be on the website either until we make some changes to it, but I do have the version that the school is using if you want to use it too. We are behind on all of this stuff because our copy editors have been totally tied up with Third Form Latin. But once we get back to it, we should move pretty quickly toward finishing these programs up.

Third grade read-aloud is coming along, but it needs to be tweaked too. I need to have a meeting with the third grade teachers and really flesh this out!

Have you ever thought about moving to Louisville and putting your students in our school so they can have all of the partially finished books right away? Our students consider themselves guinea pigs, but they love nothing better than editing our books as they use them!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Samples

That's funny, Tanya. No, we haven't thought of moving there but I am hoping to come to your conference this year if possible. We are in VA and planning to move to Wilmington, NC this spring or summer to be near the beach :-) I am just a curriculum junkie but I guess that is a good thing b/c I have helped a lot of moms with my knowledge of what is out there. I also have heard that if a teacher ever gets tired of school supplies she should quit so its good to know that homeschooling is still exciting for me after 5 years. Anyway, I'll keep checking for new things and I'm thankful that MP is so dedicated to putting out new materials and making them available. I'll wait for the proofed versions b/c knowing me I'd want to buy every new edition.

I read a post once with a suggestion to make a place where everyone can check the dates new products will be available. Maybe that would cut down on your questions?

Shaina

Comment

Shaina,

It would be nice to have a spot with dates, but I can never nail the dates down. It seems like when I think we are finished with a book, all of a sudden someone thinks of something to add or change or take away (and sometimes that is me!). We work really hard with our teachers to make sure the books work in the classroom with the students, so it seems we are always a work in progress. And I don't mind the questions at all. I'm glad to help you, and I'm glad that you are excited about our new books. They always excite me, so it helps to have others excited with me!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hello Tanya

Does the above discussion mean that the third grade grammar and pre-K curriculum will initially only be available in Beta form?

Does MP have a system whereby people who purchase your program in Beta can "upgrade" to the finished book. The presentation and binding of MP's finished products are always so attractive.

Regards

Julia

Comment

Hi, Julia.

You can always get your beta books updated to the finished product. And the 3rd grade grammar and jr. kindergarten programs are both in the beta stage right now. We are making some changes to the grammar book, and we haven't proofed the jr. kindergarten lesson plans.

Also, we generally leave our new programs in beta format for a year, even if we feel we are finished with them. We like our teachers to teach through them once before we really consider them finished. Even if you are the teacher who has written the program, when you teach it, you discover things that could be better or things that are redundant, or things that you have left out. The true test of curriculum is the actual use of it!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Updating books

Does that mean we get the updated books free?

Shaina

Comment

If you have purchased the beta copies, we will replace them for you at no charge once we have the final versions available.

Tanya

Comment

SO are the final versions of all the 5th grade guides ready yet? I purchased beta versions of everything except the Bird study...wish I had, though.
                    Enigma
                    Last edited by Enigma; 10-20-2011, 05:03 PM.
                    The Older Boys:
                    J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                    S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                    G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                    D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                    F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                    M- 9/16:
                    2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
                    2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

If you mean the literature guides, they are complete. If you'd like replacement guides, you can call in and request them. We'll get them right out to you.

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Perfect! How about Geography 2 and the poetry guide? We sort of took a break...cough,cough...and are now ready to get back to work.
                        The Older Boys:
                        J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                        S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                        D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                        F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                        M- 9/16:
                        2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
                        2022: MP K and BJU Math K

Comment

Both of those books are still in beta format. Keep checking with us though. Hopefully, we'll have a productive winter!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Classical Comp and more.

Thank you Tanya for answering my question with respect to the Beta books. It is great to know that MP will replace books in Beta format. I must admit that I have thought twice in the past about purchasing Beta books or waiting until the books are published in their final format.

I have a question about Classical Composition. I see that the first guide is now available. MP's publications replace the author's books so no further purchase is necessary, is that right? How much additional teaching assistance is included in the books and was any information admitted?

Older students starting the curriculum can progress faster through the first levels. You say that is what they are currently doing in the Online Academy. Do you have any suggestions for doing that right now for those of us not using the Online Academy? My son is in 7th grade. Are those students using the author's books directly? Do the guides include suggestions for moving at a faster pace?

Also, is MP planning to bring out curriculum packages all the way through 12th grade? If so, when would you expect the plans and packages for 7 and above to be ready?

And at the other end of the spectrum, how about the pre-K curriculum package? I read on an other message board that a mother had already purchased the pre-K package.

With respect to the grammar book, should older students continue to use R&S? When do you expect the higher level books to be available?

Lastly, in answer to another of my posts you outlined how to incorporate the Grammar/Vocab drill sheets into LP. I found that very useful and this week we had a very successful first week of Latin with my younger son. My 3 almost 4 year even followed along and learnt the vocab and sayings (orally of course). Could you please provide me with a similar outline for FFL using the DVDs and Latina Angelica.

Thank you again, your replies are always most instructive and so helpful.

Julia

Comment

Hi, Julia.

We have reformatted the original Classical Composition books so that the student text is inset in the teacher guide with the teacher notes around it. We believe that this makes the program more teacher friendly and easier to use. We have not messed with the content because we believe that is sound; our changes have merely been for clarification for the teacher.

I believe that in the online academy, they are moving more quickly by doing less of the book. For example, in the Fable Stage, they are only doing a portion of the fables, whereas 4th graders would spend a year completing all of them. And I don't think it's necessarily an age factor. I think it depends on where your child lands as far as his writing goes, and you should be able to tell that as you move through the first few lessons. Some older students may need to spend more time mastering the Fable Stage rather than moving too quickly. I'd just purchase this first one and see how it goes. Since you aren't using a classroom setting with lots of students, you can feel free to move at your student's pace.

We have the Narrative Stage ready for student use, and it is keyed, but the teacher guide isn't written, so all that is available right now is the student book and key. And those haven't been proofed yet, but I'm thinking that proof will be completed by the end of next week. And the Chreia/Maxim Stage student book and key will be complete before the teacher's guides are written for the Narrative because our online teacher is writing this material, and since he is teaching it, it is more important to have the student books ready than the teacher guides (since he knows the material well enough to teach it without a guide). But if you get ready for these books before we have them ready, you can always buy the original books from ClassicalComposition.com.

I would like to have curriculum packages through 12th grade, but it is going to be awhile. It takes longer to write this upper level material, and right now, for example, in English, our teachers are teaching independently from our help. We just thrust books at them, and they choose what they want to do with them, unlike our lower level classes where we have developed a specific curriculum for teachers to follow. But, many of these teachers have developed questions, essay topics, tests, and more, so it is just a matter of gathering all of this information up and compiling it for homeschool use. We are also working on an idea to have dvd lectures that teach Shakespeare, so we'll see how that goes. I do have a study guide in the works for As You Like It, and we have many of the upper level guides completed: Dante, Augustine's City of God, Vergil's Aeneid - but we have much more to go in order to provide a complete curriculum. But know that this is heavily on our minds, and we are working toward it. Hopefully, we can get enough done that will be of help to you!

I have better news about jr. kindergarten! It is a completed program, but it hasn't been proofed. We are using it in our school, and I have sold it to several homeschoolers who didn't want to wait for a proof. I'm hoping to have the proof in the next couple of weeks, but until then, if you really need it now, you can purchase it by phone. I won't have it on the website for sale until it has been proofed.

For grammar, I would suggest that you continue working through the R&S books for grades 4-6, but don't do so much if you are doing a Latin program. In fact, take what your students are doing in Latin, and find exercises in R&S that deal with that same concept. Complete these exercises orally just to make sure your students make the connection between Latin and English grammar, and that is enough!

I'm so glad your Latin vocab. drill is going well. When I was teaching, I always began my week with an oral recitation, and then I taught the new lesson. This is when you would use the dvd. It teaches the lesson for you! Then, I liked to do the first page of the workbook with my students because it reinforces the grammar that has just been taught. The next day, we would review the grammar lesson (after a short recitation again), and the students would do the next 2 pages of the workbook. The third day would be like the 2nd, but we would finish the workbook lesson. Then, we would do a quick review for the quiz that followed the next day. After the quiz on the 4th day, we would do some work in Lingua Angelica for a break. I would put a verse of a song or a prayer on the board, and we would translate it together. We had a Latin choir, so we thought it was important for the students to know the meaning of what they were singing. We pointed out the words that the students knew, but I didn't require them to memorize any grammar that they didn't already know. Lingua Angelica is a supplement, so we introduced it gradually, and required more of the students as their knowledge increased. So, we would revisit the same songs and prayers every year, and every year, the students could see how much more they knew as their knowledge of Latin grammar grew.

I hope I answered all of your questions clearly!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X