which to start with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which to start with?

Hello, I have a third grader and am wondering whether I should be starting with Famous Men of Rome or Greece? We are also starting Latin 1 book, which seems to encourage the use of the FMR, but I am wondering if it makes more sense to the student to go in chronilogical order?

Hello.

I'd definitely start with Famous Men of Rome. Greece is much more difficult to study. Roman history is more structured and streamlined - one empire that rose and fell, one Caesar at a time, etc. Our philosophy about chronology is that history should be taught in an age-appropriate manner. It is more important that the history be taught at a level that students are ready for than that it be taught from the beginning of time forward. But, we do teach it chronologically by time period. So, when we teach Roman history, we start at the beginning and work our way to the end of it.

Our students actually study D'Aulaires' Greek Myths in 3rd grade, and do Famous Men of Rome in 4th. In 5th, we do the Middle Ages, and then Greece in 6th before they read Homer in 7th.

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

thank you for your response Tanya. I realize after reading your response that I worded it wrong, I meant the Greek myths, not the famous men of Greece, so I still got my answer

Comment

Working...
      X