Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing more of a Classicl approach - school day schedule question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing more of a Classicl approach - school day schedule question...

Greetings all! I have been homeschooling for going on 7 years now and have basically taken an eclectic approach I suppose you could say. Actually, I have stayed with ABeka for math, School of Tomorrow for grammar, and Science and History I've bounced around with - same with spelling. However, we are doing the Phonetic Zoo right now and have had good success with it.
    I would like to delve a bit more into the "Classical" approach.
    My questions are:
    1) What subjects do you make sure you ABSOLUTELY cover every day
    2) How many days of the week do you "school"
    3) We are starting Latina Christiana 1 next year and would like feedback
    4) How many hours a day (grades 5-7) do you take to "school" during the day
    5) How do you do History and Science - Do both every day? Half the year for one and half the year for another? Just a certain number of days per week for each?
    6) Do you think Mystery of History is enough through 8th grade? (We are half way through the first book and LOVE IT!
    7) What writing and reading "curriculum" do you use?
    Ok. That should do for now. I am REALLY looking forward to getting feedback from all of you.
    Blessings,
    Stacie in Ak

Hi, Stacie,

I'm sure others will have suggestions for you as well, but here is how we do things.

Originally posted by Stacie in Ak
    1) What subjects do you make sure you ABSOLUTELY cover every day
    We make sure to do some Latin, math, and music practice every day. We also do about an hour of reading aloud and my dd reads for about 15-30 minutes a day independently (she's a Kindergartner, reading fluently). Our reading is mostly from library books on a wide range of subjects and children's classics. We do emphasize classical subject matter (ancient history, mythology, etc.) somewhat.

5) How do you do History and Science - Do both every day? Half the year for one and half the year for another? Just a certain number of days per week for each?
    We plan to do science informally until high school - nature walks; museum, zoo, and planetarium visits; and following up on the kids' interests with library books, workshops, etc. History I will schedule two days a week - one day for ancients ("Classical Studies") and one for modern history ("American Studies").

7) What writing and reading "curriculum" do you use?
    I plan to use Jim Selby's Classical Composition for writing starting in 3rd grade. For reading, do you mean phonics or literature selections? I've drawn up my own literature schedule, loosely based on the Highlands Latin School curriculum (www.latinschool.com).

There's a mailing list for people doing Latin-centered classical homeschooling where we discuss a lot of the kinds of questions you're asking. It's been a great support for me, and there are tons of resources in the files and links section of the list's Web page at YahooGroups.

LatinClassicalEd List

Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the input and the links. I just went to join the Yahoo group.
      Stacie

Comment

Working...
      X