Our 5th grade classical studies course using MP materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our 5th grade classical studies course using MP materials

In case this is helpful to anyone, especially for kids who haven't studied much Greek myths/lit before....The following is a course description of a classical studies course I did with my son in his 5th grade year using the MP D'Aulaires' materials. We loved it! He concurrently took an early American history course using Beautiful Feet's curriculum. So this is what I came up with for his transcript (he was applying to a private school for 8th grade):

CLASSICAL STUDIES: ANCIENT GREECE -- 5TH GRADE

Course description:
    An introduction to the literature and history of ancient Greece. A range of literature is read – mythology, retellings of epic poems, fables, and short biographies of key figures in Greek history. The student learns about the Greek gods and goddesses, Homer, Achilles, Agamemnon, Odysseus, Jason, the Hero of Marathon, Socrates, Xenophon, Alexander the Great, and others. Methods used include independent reading, discussion, comprehension questions, writing assignments, map work, and tests. Credit: 1 humanities credit.

Curriculum:
    D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths Student Guide by Cheryl Lowe and Leigh Lowe (Memoria Press)
    Plus: Custom lessons on remaining literature

Book list:
    D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths by Ingri and Edgar Parin d’Aulaire
    Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff
    The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff
    The Children’s Homer by Padraic Colum
    The Golden Fleece by Padraic Colum
    Famous Men of Greece: Greek History by John Haaren and A. B. Poland, edited by Leigh Lowe
    Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick
    Aesop’s Fables

I had my daughter do roughly the same course in 5th grade, too, minus The Golden Fleece and Archimedes, and plus Herodotus and the Road to History by Jeanne Bendick.

HTH!
    Karen
    Mom to ds14 and dd11

Thanks!

That's great! Thanks for the info, I am doing D'Aulaires with a 3rd grader, but reading it and doing FMG with my 6th & 7th, too. This is a great list & I hope to accomplish what you laid out. I don't know what prompted you to list this, but I am really glad to have it!
    Thank you!
    Krissi

Comment

Working...
    X