5th grade geography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th grade geography

Tanya, I was looking at the book list for 5th grade and wondered what is covered in the geography course listed for 5th grade?
    Samantha
    mom to 3:
    2 graduates
    1 7th grader doing a combination of MPOA and MP at home

Hello.

Our 5th grade geography covers the eastern hemisphere right now, but I think we are going to make some changes to it. We are talking about skipping the Far East and covering: North and South America and Africa. We cover No. Africa, Europe, and the Middle East in 4th grade, so this would take care of everything except the Far East. We will cover that in middle school. How's that sound?

If you want to get the 5th grade as it stands now, we will always replace it for you after we have made our changes to it. We have some of our teachers working for us this summer, and they get a lot done, so I'm hoping to have the changes made by late summer.

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Geography

Tanya,

Just curious if you came up with a final decision on when you were covering what continents after the ones covered in Geography I. It looks like you have the four A continents in Geography II. Is that still the case?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at our 6 year plan for 1st-6th in history and geography and right now I don't see where we have the Far East covered anywhere. I mostly use a combination of Veritas Press and Memoria Press and I can't see where we've covered that anywhere. I have one open year in my rotation for the Far East and am considering using SonLight's Core that is about the Far East if MP and VP don't put out something in the next few years. I realize that we focus on Western Civilization, but I still think the East is important, especially for evangelical reasons...plus they do play a role in world history. Any thoughts on this?

Shaina Seville

Comment

Hi, Shaina.

Geography II does have Africa, Asia, Australia, and Antarctica in it. The Far East is covered in the section on Asia. The purpose of these first 2 geography books is for students to learn where everything is. We do have a 3rd book coming out by next fall that is a more detailed geography course, covering culture, religion, environment, etc.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Geography 3

Tanya,

What grade level with the new geography book be for? What countries will it cover? Just curious.....

Shaina

Comment

We use it in the 7th grade, and it is a world geography course, so it covers all continents. It would be appropriate for 7th and up.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X