Kindergarten or First Grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten or First Grade?

I will begin homeschooling my daughter in the fall. She will turn 6 in September. She knows all of her letter sounds and is sounding out words with some letter blends, as well. She can very slowly read books like The Cat in the Hat aloud, with some help. I am not sure whether to begin with the Kindergarten set or the First grade curriculum. (She will officially be considered in Kindergarten for reporting purposes, due to her birthdate.) I just don't want her to be bored, but I also don't want her to miss out on anything important. She knows all of her letters and numbers and is quite good at adding one-digit numbers for math. What would you suggest?

Hello.

I'm thinking your daughter may be fine to move into 1st grade in the fall if you continue to work on her reading this summer. You could even move at a slower pace if you need to. I would consider using SRA Phonics I to continue working on her phonics. When our students finish First Start Reading (which is only short vowels), they continue to work in SRA I through the spring, learning short vowels and some blends. So, you could spend the next few months finishing up our kindergarten phonics program, preparing your student for our 1st grade curriculum. Our kindergarten lesson plans are $30, but they may be worth it to you so that you can see what we do to prepare our students for our StoryTime Treasures 1st grade reading program. It is a combination of SRA I, the American Language readers Soft and White and Scamp and Tramp, and Classical Phonics. Our 1st graders begin the year reading Little Bear as part of StoryTime Treasures, so that is your goal to work toward.

For math, our kindergartners do Part I of Rod & Staff's Arithmetic I. Then, in 1st grade, they speed back through Part I for review (we give you a new workbook), and then they spend the rest of the year on Part II. So, you could take it at your daughter's pace if she needs longer in Part I. Or, you could go on and do some work in Part I now.

How's this sound?

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Thank you! That sounds great. I think I'm off to order the SRA I so we can work through it over the summer. I'm pretty confident she'll do just fine on this path. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X