Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geography for K-2

Hello,

What curriculum does MP recommend for teaching geography to a first grader?

Thanks!
    Vanessa

Vanessa,

We don't actually have formal geography in our primary curricula. Our social studies/science projects are tied to our read-aloud books. They do require some map work, but it is mainly looking at a globe or map to find specific locations they read about, learning to recite the continents and oceans, etc. Our philosophy is that K-2nd graders need to spend the bulk of their time on reading, writing, and basic math skills. We consider the read-aloud/social studies/science portion of our curriculum to be supplementary to these basic subjects.

I don't know of another publisher who has a geography curriculum for students that young either. Our formal geography curriculum begins in 3rd grade with our States & Capitals study guides. By the end of the year, our students can map the U.S. and know all 50 capitals. Then, in 4th grade, they learn to map Europe, the Middle East, and No. Africa because those areas are crucial in their studies. In 5th grade, they finish up the eastern hemisphere and do So. America. In 6th, they go back and do Canada. Our goal is for them to be able to map the world when they move into the upper school.

I'm sorry I can't help you out (unless you want to try the States & Capitals guide in 1st grade).

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Thank-you, Tanya. I will be using the States and Capitals from MP for my third grader this year, I don't think my first grader is ready for that. Another question: What curriculum does MP recommend for geography after we've finished the States and Capitals set? I noticed that there isn't a workbook program available for the western and eastern hemispheres or for Canada.

Comment

I do have workbooks for 4th grade geography (Europe, No. Africa, Middle East) and for 5th grade (eastern hemisphere). They just need some design work before I officially begin selling them. But I have several people who have bought them under the table, so to speak, and are using them now. If you get ready for them before I publish, I'll be glad to make them available to you. Just send me an email. I'll always make whatever we are working on available to you and then update your guides as we make improvements.

Cheers,

Tanya
        tanya@memoriapress.com

Comment

Thank you so much, Tanya. I have been very impressed with you and Memoria Press so far. I am looking forward to using the curriculum this year. I wish you well.

Regards,
          Vanessa

Comment

Working...
          X