Latin-centered Curriculum Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin-centered Curriculum Questions

I am wondering what families are using the book the Latin-centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell. I am curious as to how they find his curriculum suggestions and sequence? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am also curious if there is anything online for such a community? Or are any families combining the Well Trained Mind and the Latin centered curriculum in homeschooling? If so, how does this look? Thank you! Rachel

Rachel,

I do a combo of WTM and LCC with my family; if you look closely at the book lists in LCC (I have the 1st ed.), many of the titles are listed in WTM (such as SoTW). We do Latin (of course), and are beginning Greek. I do keep grammar as a seperate subject; I feel that English grammar should be explicitly taught and reviewed in the younger grades so that it can become automatic (we use First Language Lessons and Abeka for this).
    We do two stream history; American history (using the Artner's Guide) and chronological world history (using SoTW). We also do classical studies once a week;our science follows a WTM sequence (we use the God's Design series from AiG for this), but we do it once a week.

I get direction from both WTM and LCC, and draw from each to make my own path. If you have any more specific questions, I'll be glad to try to answer.

Comment

I also do a combo of WTM and LCC--sort of my own thing. I just read LCC last year and implemented changes this year. We'd already done Ancients once and I wanted to do it again. I have 4 close in age: 5th, 4th, 2nd and K5/1st. I would lose my mind trying to follow LCC closely with those ages, so I decided to stick to another 4-year round of history, more or less. The younger 2 do R and S Math and I love the Ordinary Parents guide for reading. I have MP copybooks for writing.

They are all doing ancients, the older 2 for the second time. So we did a shorter course on Egypt, and we're doing Greece then Rome. The older 2 are using the MP Famous Men series as the backbone and I pull things from the library, Usbourne Ency. (I already own ) and used Greenleaf items for Egypt to supplement (and some literature supplements). For the younger ones, I'm doing SOTW I plus supplements, but I pulled the chapters to do the "units" I listed, rather than chronologically. I've been trying to add in the other ancient civilizations--more success as read aloud for the younger ones. I'm going to try MP's American as a second stream next year b/c we are woefully ignorant of American history. Even doing SOTW, you move through it so fast if you "keep up" so I figure I can do Middle Ages and American next year. Were I just starting, I'd probably stick closer to the yearlong study of each of the ancients.

I started using MP's Literature guides this year for Literature--and backed off on the volume of reading per LCC. We did The Hobbit with everyone. The younger 2 had listened to it on audio and the older 2 had already read it before. But we all sat together to discuss and that was GREAT! I love the literature guides. I'm using Whitling's Guide for some Shakespeare (using Lamb) per LCC suggestion. So far so good. I think I'm getting too involved here.

Math: I like the Saxon philosophy so use it for my older 2. Plan to transition my younger 2, per abilities.
      Science: Don't do this (big SIGH!). But my background is science and my kids are all nature lovers, so it's sort of a part of our lives already. I have more opinions on this if you're interested (antonia@holyapostles.org).
      Latin: Love MP's stuff and my daughter started French I'm waiting until they have a little more Latin under their belts before Greek.
      Religion: I use MP's Christian Studies teacher guide for a question springboard only. We're Eastern Orthodox, so I pull from other sources as well (some suggested in LCC).

After stressing over the writing curricula in LCC's suggestions, I finally settled on Susan Bauer's Writing With Ease (per Tanya's suggestion here on the forum). I like it a lot. I find I need more "teacher structure" in certain areas and using the workbooks just works. It's also not as much time as I thought.

I prefer to spend a little more time on history than LCC indicates. But I am finding it's still a lot of things to do. I tried Geography and soon gave up--we'll just correlate with history. Everything else is as above. Sorry so long.
      Toni G.

Comment

I began home schooling using WTM with my oldest (now 4th grade) but after reading LCC (when he was a 1st grader) I've embraced LCC's philosophy and appreciate the simplicity whern teaching mutliple children.

With my oldest our core subjects that we study daily are: Latin, Greek, writing and math. We also add English grammar as reinforcement and my son enjoys it because after Latin he finds it easy! And we do lots of reading.

For Latin my oldest has completed Memoria's LC I & II (now beginning Second Form), Lively Latin and Cambridge Latin. With the youngers I'm using Prima Latina and Minimus. In Greek we've liked Elementary Greek by Gatchell but are looking forward to seeing what MP publishes.

I like Classical Writing and will continue with that although for the youngest Bauer's Writing with Ease is quite good. I've also used Wise's First Language Lessons.

We do lots of reading together and use Ambleside's list. For history we've used the Famous Men and Guerber's Story of the Greeks & Story of the Romans. We also use Bauer's Story of the World.

I could write much more but I'll end saying if you have questions or comments
        I'd be glad to talk more.

Are you on the LCC group through yahoo? It's a suportive community and great with answers. I've connected with several other women in my area and we've founded a classical school/coop.

Wishing you the very best,
        NM

Comment

Response to lfmartn on LCC questions from Whiting

NM,

I was reading over your response and I am very thankful you took the time to respond.

The LCC group you mentioned - is that the Latin Classical Ed. group or is there any actual LCC group?

Does it work well to use both Prima Latina and Minimus with your young kids? What age are your children? What do you like about Minimus?

I am thinking about doing Prima Latina and I Speak Latin (Andrew Campbell's new curriculum). Yet Prima uses Ecclesiastical pronunciation and Campbell uses Classical - so I am not sure if this will be a problem. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Are you familiar with Getting Started with Latin by W. Linney?

I read Well Trained Mind and really enjoyed it, after that I read the LCC and thought life and schooling would be much simpler if I followed the later more than the former. I am just in the process of trying to work out how this plays out in schooling. I really appreciate your feedback.

Here is my e-mail in case you would rather e-mail than post
          trwhiting@carolina.rr.com

Thanks!
          Rachel
          Mom to Owen (almost 7), Ella (almost 5) and Ava and Livia (almost 1 yr)

Comment

Working...
          X