Intro to Classical Studies vs Christian Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro to Classical Studies vs Christian Studies

Hi - I am very excited about some of the new materials I see in the new catalog and on the website but am also very confused. I'm hoping someone can clarify a few things for me.

I am very interested in using the Christian Studies Course I see in the catalog with my son who will be in 3rd grade next year. However, I see there is also an Introduction to Classicaly Studies that looks fascinating as well. How do they compare? Can they be used together or are they exclusive of each other? Does the Classical Studies book give the same depth of coverage of the Bible? I see that the Famous Men of Rome & Greek Myths books each have separate course guides as well. How does this all this fit together? AND, how much time would each course require per day? (Sorry to ramble - very excited but very confused!)

Let me add that I will also have older boys (7th & 6th) and a 6yo who all love myths, wars and adventures so this really looks like something that we could work through and enjoy all together. What would you recommend? BTW, my 5th grader is working enthusiastically through LC1 right now and my 7yo really wants to do Prima Latina next year.

Thanks so much for any insight you can give me!
    Tammy

Thanks for the great questions. The Christian Studies books, along with the Famous Men of Rome and D'Aulaires Greek Myths books are actually replacement courses for the Introduction to Classical Studies Guide which incorporates all three courses in a three-year reading and study guide. The Intro to Classical Studies Guide will actually be phased out within this year.

The five books that replace the Intro to CS Guide include all of the information presented in the Intro Guide plus a lot more. Each course offers a Facts to Know section for drill work, vocabulary, comprehension questions, maps, timelines, activities, and discussion questions that integrate what students are learning about the Greek, Roman, and Christian worlds. The new guides also provide a consumable workbook format that parents requested and a less overwhelming year by year plan.

We recommend that students progress through the program using the Christian Studies course for three years (one book per year) along with the either the Greek Myths or Famous Men course (we do Greek Myths first in third grade). We hope to have another book for the fifth grade year soon (no ETA to offer unfortunately). Regarding time requirements, our students probably spend about 4-5 hours per week on each guide.

Comment

Working...
    X