spelling with Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spelling with Latin?

Do you need a spelling program for 4th grade if you're using Latin Prima?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you need an English spelling program for a fourth grader who happens to be doing Prima Latina? Prima Latina will definitely not replace an English spelling program at any level. Now, some fourth graders may not need formal spelling, and some will, depending on their skill level, but studying Latin will have little to do with it. Over time, a foundation in Latin will certainly serve well in spelling some of the more difficult words in our language that have Latin roots. But I would expect that advantage to show up with an older student (perhaps highschool age) who was daily encountering a more complex vocabulary than the average fourth grader.

I would also recommend you consider Latina Christiana instead of Prima Latina for a 4th grader. Prima is a very gentle program designed for younger children. I would either do Prima Latina *very* quickly with a 4th grader and then move on to Latina Christiana, or skip it completely and begin with LC.

Comment

Thanks for your reply...

I was thinking of using LLATL for her English, which includes spelling. My dd is behind in grade level as she had some reading problems . We are trying to overcome them this year but even though she's 4th this fall, 3rd grade work is really what I want her on in English and Math.

Also, my other dd will be in 9th and we will be doing LC 1 and 2 in that year because she has had no latin yet except for English from the Roots up.

I don't want to overwhelm my 9 yr old 's day. How do you fit in Latin and "English" and all the other subjects? I understand that Latin should be a daily thing like math.....I thought 1/2 hour a day for her age??

If you have any more thoughts or advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
      X