class. studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

class. studies

Next fall I will be teaching World History (will take two years). I will start with Old Testament, ancient civiliz. and extend thru Greece in the first year. Would you recommend the Intro to classical studies or the individual FMOG teacher/stud. books? My daughter will be in 6th grade.
    Thanks,
    Carolyn

Individual Guides

The individual guides are formatted as student workbooks so they are a little easier to use. They are also nice if you are just teaching one or two of the subjects at a time. The Classical Studies Guide integrates all three subjects at once (Famous Men of Rome, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, Golden Children's Bible).

I noticed that you mentioned FMOG. Our Greek guide uses D'Aulaires' Greek Myths and covers Greek mythology. We do use the Famous Men of Rome (FMR) to teach actual Roman history.
    Last edited by blowe; 03-27-2005, 09:23 PM.
    Brian Lowe
    www.MemoriaPress.com

Comment

Why Greek myths rather than Famous Men of Greece?

Why do you choose to teach the Greek myths rather than teaching about actual men of Greece?

Do you anticipate adding a study guide for Famous Men of Greece to your Classical Studies curriculum?

-a homeschooler who is very impressed with your materials and is trying to understand the methodology better.

Comment

Great Question!
        We teach Greek Myths for a number of reasons. First, a classically educated child is expected to have a core body of knowledge that makes the great literature he aspires to read accessible to him. The greatest authors of history, including Shakespeare and Homer, commonly referenced the characters and events of Greek mythology in their works; without knowledge of these stories a child cannot fully understand or appreciate great literature. Once aware, a student of Greek mythology will find an infinite number of mythological references in both his studies and the modern world.

Furthermore, the characters presented in the Greek myths provide archetypes for the personalities a child will meet in life; a child learns poignant lessons through the exaggerated stories of the Greek gods about the human condition. The story of Narcissus, for example, colorfully illustrates that pride is destructive.

Finally, young students simply adore the Greek myths. They willingly (and even unknowingly) struggle through advanced text to finish a story and find out what happens - a great secondary benefit of the D'Auliares book.

Our students do study the actual heroes of Greece as they progress through our curriculum. We do not, however, have plans to release a Famous Men of Greece course in the very near future.

Comment

Working...
        X