Second Grade - What should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Grade - What should I use?

I have a first grader that I've pretty much followed the WTM approach with this year. Its gone well, but I recently read LCC (2nd edition) and it really appeals to me (though I'm a little nervous about changing). I'm definitely going to start Latin with her next year. My main concern is what to do for history. We've gone throw SOTW 1 this year, which she's loved, and I was planning to go on to SOTW 2. However, I've had a nagging thought recently (maybe especially since reading LCC) that I would like to do some American history with her. How do I do a 2 stream history approach, or should I just do American History for 2nd (and still get the SOTW 2 audios, because she'll revolt if I drop it!). And then what for geography? This year I've done the geography that goes along with SOTW 1. I've also read CHOW off and on in parallel with SOTW 1.

I'm also wondering about reading/literature: are there comprehension guides available from Memoria for the literature recommended for 2nd (I found the list with Courage of Sarah Noble, etc. on another post)? And for Copybook - she's now starting cursive (with Handwriting without Tears which works well for us) and also doing All About Spelling; I am not sure I want to abandon those. Is Copybook cursive for handwriting & spelling?

Will there be a 2nd grade curriculum coming out sometime in the near future? I looked at the Highlands Latin school website and couldn't really find a detailed listing of recommendations for 2nd grade (I found it for 3rd).

Thanks in advance!

I think I've read enough to understand...

That the 2nd grade curriculum & all the parts are in the works. Sorry - I posted my question before I read all the other recent posts.

Comment

Hello.

I wouldn't worry about continuing on with the SOTW. The LCC and WTM are similar in philosophy, so you should be able to merge the pieces of each that you like and come up with the curriculum that works best for you and your children. For American history, our 1st grade teachers read the D'Aulaires autobiographies of Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, etc. to the students and they talk about the characters. In 2nd grade, we use the little Eggleston book, Stories of Great Americans, in the same way. So, we are introducing American history gently in a way that doesn't take too much time and that works well into our day. SOTW is the same concept, which is good for young children. Their core curriculum should be a concentration on reading, vocabulary, and spelling skills, writing, and math. Everything else is supplemental in the primary grades, so an introduction to history can be a time for storytelling and discussion without a lot of pressure. So, the 2-stream history approach can work well for primary students if you use it as your story time; it can be relegated to whatever time you have left over after completing your core work.

I do have study guides for all of the 2nd grade literature that I can sell you if you'd like them. Just let me know which ones you'd like.

Copybook Cursive is mostly Latin prayers and songs, so it works well for older students as a review of their Latin and a reinforcement of neat handwriting which becomes necessary when they get lazy.

I see you have found the 2nd grade curriculum. I would love to have it available by fall, but if I don't make it (1st grade is priority now), I will at least have everything you need, including lesson plans. It just may not be formatted beautifully yet. But, check with me this summer, and I'll let you know where I am with this project.

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Comment

Thank you Tanya! What is used for Spelling in 2nd grade at Highlands Latin? I will take you up on the literature study guides once I decide for sure on my curriculum.

Lisa

Comment

Lisa,

We use SRA Phonics 3 in 2nd grade for our phonics and spelling. We use Rod & Staff English 2 for grammar. In 3rd grade, we use Rod & Staff Spelling 4. We found that the Rod & Staff spelling program was too easy for our students, so we do a grade ahead through 7th grade. And we continue in Rod & Staff grammar on grade level through 6th grade.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Grammar

I so appreciate all your help here. I was curious regarding the R&S Grammar recommendations. LCC advocates that a separate grammar program is not necessary as it is covered in the study of Latin. Does HLS use R&S as supplementary to what is covered in the study of Latin or as it's own full course? Thanks again!

Comment

You've asked the question of the month! I've been seriously considering this subject for awhile now. As a teacher, I can tell you that students don't make the connection between Latin grammar and English grammar by themselves. I could teach predicate nominatives in Latin, and when we came to them in R&S Grammar, you would think they had never seen them before. So you do need to do some English grammar work to reinforce the grammar you teach in Latin and vice versa.

On the other hand, I feel that I spent way too much class time on English grammar. If I had that time back, I'd do more writing and less grammar. I wouldn't try to get through that R&S grammar book in a year. Of course, in a school setting, that could be a problem for the next teacher! For homeschoolers, you have the freedom to slow it down and do less of it. I wish I had an English grammar book that paralleled our Latin courses, but I don't. I'm thinking if you got through the 6th grade R&S grammar book in a couple of years, you'd have enough grammar work. I'm planning to look at some different grammar courses this summer at conventions and see if I can find one that would be less intense. I like Jessie Wise's First Language Lessons. Maybe that 4th year course would be enough. I haven't looked at it in great detail yet.

Have I confused you?

Tanya

Comment

Confused? Maybe

Well my daughter will be moving into 2nd grade work in the fall. As you know there is some english grammar included in the StoryTime Treasures workbook, which we are really enjoying, but I wasn't sure if that was all we should be doing for grammar. Are you suggesting that we can wait til 4th to 6th grade to cover english grammar or start now and cover it at our own pace? I am trying so hard not to fill up our day with more and more subjects if that makes sense.

Comment

It does make sense. And if you are going to do Prima Latina also in 2nd grade, that and the grammar in our reading program may be enough. We use R&S 2nd grade grammar book, but we would like to just incorporate more grammar in our lit. guides and let that be it (that isn't going to happen this year!). You just need to do some basic work with parts of speech, especially nouns and verbs, and you will get enough of that in Prima.

I taught 5th-6th grades, so by then, the students had enough Latin that they should have been able to connect it to their own language, but they didn't without my guidance. The grammar for 2nd grade is so basic that it should carry over just fine. Rather than doing another grammar course in addition to Latin and literature, your time will be better spent in concentrating on writing really good sentences in all subjects. Mastery of the sentence is a great goal for 2nd grade!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Geography and Curriculum Sets

I am looking forward to MP getting the full curriculum for other grades. Their Kindergarten package is great.

Tanya - for Geography, I have used the Every Child is Spatial sets. They are great!

Good luck!

Comment

Amanda,

Thanks for this information. I'll check it out. I'm definitely searching for geography help!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                      X