Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roots of English vs. The Book of Roots

Greetings~

To the point here-- I am wondering which of these books have more information to learn. I've read that The Roots of English has both Latin and Greek roots, but is an easier book than The Book of Roots. I have the Book of Roots right here in front of me (though it has answers right in the back of the book, unlike the one listed at Mem Press now) and it doesn't look difficult at all for even my 10-year old. It's challenging, but not hard. (We've finished LCI so maybe that's why.)

If The Roots of English is easier, what makes it easier? I guess I'm wondering how Latin AND Greek roots can be easier than just Latin roots. I have seen no way to compare the two on this website, and have a hard time even locating the Roots of English book. I have to use the Yahoo search engine to find it for some reason. There are the two sample pages of RoE, but they look vastly different than The BoR. Appears to be all about prefixes and suffixes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows~

Vik

Hello.

The Book of Roots is definitely more difficult than Roots of English. The vocabulary is harder, and there is more of it. The fact that RoE has Greek roots doesn't make it more difficult; it is just dealing with the origin of some different roots. For younger children, I think the Book of Roots would be rather overwhelming because there are so many words on the page. But if you want to use it, you could always just choose the words that you want to teach and not do them all.

I like the Book of Roots as a prep. course for the SAT. Of course, Latin is going to accomplish the same thing for you.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thank ya.

I think what I'll do, then, is go through the BoR until she thinks it's too hard, then switch to RoE. She's 10, but since we school all year round she's already doing 8th grade work--I didn't mention that in my query. She's doing the same work as my 11- and 12-year old. I'll give it a go and switch as needed, or quit if I need to. Just wanted to compliment the Latin courses and really nail it in good.

Thanks for the info!
      Last edited by Vik; 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I had the chance to check out the Book of Roots but honestly, I find it quite hard to learn for kids. It is very informative though. I think I would have to follow your tip Tanya, to just choose certain words that the kids can easily understand and learn. Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm. Well so far my kids 10-13 don't have any trouble with it. I wonder if something is wrong with us!

Comment

Maybe you are language-gifted! That's the beauty of homeschooling. Everyone can move at his/her own pace successfully.

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X