Possible return to MP later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible return to MP later?

Last year, my then 3rd and 4th graders used mostly all MP. My younger of the two needed more help with reading, so he started the All About Reading program. I moved him away from MP, except for Geography I, this year. I moved my oldest to MCT language arts this year because it just felt like everything wasn't working for him, though he did like Greek Myths and Christian Studies. Time will tell if it was the right move, but I am also a bit sad. I was requiring too much output perhaps, but we also need to work on habits. He did not like the Latin or the Classical Composition at all. I realize sometimes you have to do things you do not like, of course. Perhaps when he matures, we could come back to MP. But is it hard to come back to MP? Everything feels like a like cumulative sequence. I read with classical composition, you need to start at the beginning and go through it at an accelerated pace. I personally think it would be great if each level had previous level lessons included in it so you wouldn't have to save lessons. And maybe this would make a better transition back to MP?

My daughter is enjoying 2nd grade MP.

Just wondered how people come back or start later with the subjects being cumulative and sequential.

Hi KrisTom. Thanks for asking! Rest assured, I've not worked with a family yet that we could not customize and catch up as needed. I will say that process goes subject by subject and does depend on the subject and each child's skill and development. For instance, perhaps a student entering in 6th grade needs to read Famous Men of Rome as summer reading (I'm big on summer reading anyway) or just extra reading during the school year while the student is actually working in 6th grade material; a year that classical studies and literature are a special fit. This is just one example. As mentioned, we'd want to find the fit for math, spelling, Latin, etc., etc. We could work on this now for your students and keep what makes most sense for you this year.
    To address classical composition, each year does include a review of previous stages. Additionally, here is a CC sequence that includes information about entering the stages "off schedule": https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...Sequence-1.pdf
    You are a wise mom to know that sometimes we have to present to our students and push through curriculum of importance. I only had 1 of 4 that LIKED Latin! But now I have 3 of 4 that can see it's long-term benefits. Even in Latin, we can find a path of great benefit and accomplishment that fits your family best. BUT! I would put it at the top of the important list, just as I would for composition. I can attest to the same experience in composition, 3 of 4 that now see its benefit. By the way- my 4th, well, we're still working 😁.
    About "requiring too much output" - MP is deep, rich, and rigorous. There are ways to adjust the output and still glean the core of the material.
    Finally, yes, MP is cumulative - but that's an important part of a true curriculum; a structure and trajectory to which we are calling our students to become, learn, and accomplish.
    I'm so happy your 2nd grader is enjoying all that MP has to offer.
    By all means, contact me directly anytime you wish; [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by Carrie MP View Post
      Hi KrisTom. Thanks for asking! Rest assured, I've not worked with a family yet that we could not customize and catch up as needed. I will say that process goes subject by subject and does depend on the subject and each child's skill and development. For instance, perhaps a student entering in 6th grade needs to read Famous Men of Rome as summer reading (I'm big on summer reading anyway) or just extra reading during the school year while the student is actually working in 6th grade material; a year that classical studies and literature are a special fit. This is just one example. As mentioned, we'd want to find the fit for math, spelling, Latin, etc., etc. We could work on this now for your students and keep what makes most sense for you this year.
      To address classical composition, each year does include a review of previous stages. Additionally, here is a CC sequence that includes information about entering the stages "off schedule": https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...Sequence-1.pdf
      You are a wise mom to know that sometimes we have to present to our students and push through curriculum of importance. I only had 1 of 4 that LIKED Latin! But now I have 3 of 4 that can see it's long-term benefits. Even in Latin, we can find a path of great benefit and accomplishment that fits your family best. BUT! I would put it at the top of the important list, just as I would for composition. I can attest to the same experience in composition, 3 of 4 that now see its benefit. By the way- my 4th, well, we're still working 😁.
      About "requiring too much output" - MP is deep, rich, and rigorous. There are ways to adjust the output and still glean the core of the material.
      Finally, yes, MP is cumulative - but that's an important part of a true curriculum; a structure and trajectory to which we are calling our students to become, learn, and accomplish.
      I'm so happy your 2nd grader is enjoying all that MP has to offer.
      By all means, contact me directly anytime you wish; [email protected].
      Thank you so very much! I think I am going to consider adding these subjects this year. A good approach for me seems to be not using the student books and using the teacher guides only for the non-core subjects. I really appreciate all of your information!

Comment

A little update:

I ended up buying FMOR & the Teacher's Guide as well as the Christian Studies II Teacher's Guide. I am going to hold off on the classical composition. I think these two courses will pair well with the MP Geography I they are doing as well as my son's grammar program. Without the student guides, I will not be tempted to require too much written output---I just know we are better off reading and discussing with these classes as well as any enrichment with maps, research, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X