No announcement yet.

Why IEW for one year only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a post I wrote about our experience with ATF&F. It includes a picture of a completed story paraphrase (which is the inevitable goal after learning KWO'ing). Through the DVD, you will learn that students can choose verbs, nouns or adjectives and use freebie symbols to outline the gist of the sentence. Students start with three key words (and unlimited symbols & abbreviations) per sentence, then transition to pulling the most salient details out of 2 or more sentences. When we began CC Fable the next year, we did not use the IEW KWO method, but it was a critical first step in evaluating main ideas and essential details of a story. I also consider ATF&F's charts of banned words and ready substitutions in the back worthy of ripping out and affixing to your Classical Composition student book the next year. I will definitely be taking my youngest through it when it's time.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
    MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

We spend the total year on 7 lessons, so we really spread it out. We don't do Intro to Comp at all. You can see the sample of the lessons here: 3rd-Grade-Sample.pdf (memoriapress.com)

It looks like we do a couple of pages each week. When we get to the rough draft, we spend a couple of weeks on it. And I will note that we do everything in class together, so the writing is all teacher-directed.

Tanya

Comment

We have always and will continue to use IEW courses as summer intensives and special-topic courses (eg college essay prep). I have SWI B an C, TWSS, WOW, CEI, and several others I fully intend to use again with my youngest. But I'm also excited to try CC since it wasn't available when my first 2 were that age, and so they only learned Progym from VP's Omnibus.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone! A lot to mull over…

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            We spend the total year on 7 lessons, so we really spread it out. We don't do Intro to Comp at all. You can see the sample of the lessons here: 3rd-Grade-Sample.pdf (memoriapress.com)

It looks like we do a couple of pages each week. When we get to the rough draft, we spend a couple of weeks on it. And I will note that we do everything in class together, so the writing is all teacher-directed.

Tanya
            For the 7 lessons spread out over a year ... Is that approach used in both the classroom as well as the homeschool plans?

It's been a couple of years since we did ATFF in the cottage school, but I felt like it moved WAY faster than that. I'm pretty certain we finished the whole book. 😳

It was a great fit for my boys, but a bit more challenging for Maeve.
            Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
            DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
            DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
            DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

When we went through ATF&F 3 years ago, the homeschool plans were only the first 7 lessons. I was thankful because it kept the pace more doable.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
              MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Yes, the homeschool plans and school plans are identical. We just took our classroom plans and released them for the homeschool market.

Sorry for my absence on the forum. I just looked and have 85 forum posts! I've been running around the campus for days getting ready for y'all!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                X